1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop inverter replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tanis, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 laptop and I believe the inverter for the screen has gone kaput! It powers up, gets drive activity light etc but the screen is totally dead.

Anyone with experience know how easy it is to check / replace an inverter?

I tried to have a look at it at the weekend as I willing to try and I have been building desktops etc for years, just have little experience with laptops. Took it apart as best I could (which wasnt much) but couldn't seem to find my way into the case at all! Removed Battery, hard drive, RAM, modem and all the screws I could find and still I couldn't get into it.

Any thoughts / help / info greatly appreciated.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have run into the same problem and I, too, have the same desktop and laptop experience. I found instructions on the web by running a Google search of my brand, model number and key words like disassemble replace inverter. You may have to do variations of these words and try other words and you may go through twenty or so pages before finding the right one; but, inverter failure seems to be common and a lot of people have done free "how to's" on the subject.

On the only ones I've investigated so far, the inverters have all been in the screen assembly.

3. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Thanks Alex.

I had been googling but been fairly unsuccessful so far but i'll try adjusting the search parameters more and see what I can come up with.

4. K7M

K7M

5. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Thanks K7M, I was actually looking over those two sites (amongst others) last night and found some useful information. Couldn't find the exact model but at least I know where to look now, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to actually try due to kids and other things haha.

6. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Finally got a chance to have a look at it last night and as it turns out the inverter was fine. The laptop had taken a bit of knock, nothing major, and the connector going from the inverter to the motherboard had become dislodged. Reconnected it and all is fine and dandy again.

Thanks for the all the replies.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice