1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Keyboard Not Working in Vista OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by e010683, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e010683

e010683 Thread Starter

My laptop recently developed a problem where the keyboard does not work within the Windows OS (Vista 64) but it works just fine outside the OS. For example, I can scroll the boot up menu just fine, and it takes alpha-numeric keys upon the OS install process. But once Windows boots, I am hosed. The touch pad does not work either. Here is what I have done so far:
    - USB Keyboard and mouse work just fine
    - Uninstalled/re-installed PS/2 standard keyboard driver- No luck
    - Device Mgr says that driver and hardware are just fine
    - Searches for new driver says existing one is the right one
    - Tried to copy the i8042prt.sys from another laptop and replace (different dates on the files)
    - Was not able to do so... I don't have the Sys Admin access to my own personal laptop, for some reason
    - Device Mgr does not recognize the touchpad driver
    - Re-loaded Vista three times... erased all partitions before re-install- No luck
    - Opened up laptop and checked keyboard connection... no problems there. Key board still works outside Win OS
    - Called Dell Tech Support- The guy tried to charge me $59.99 to do all the same things I had already done
    This problem happened to me after I opened an email and was replying to it. The keyboard just stopped working. However, I was able to re-boot and get back the functionality... for about a day. Then next re-boot, the problem has been permanent.
    Anyone have some thoughts?

2. e010683

e010683 Thread Starter

Well, I was able to solve the problem myself. I just replaced the touchpad hardware by replcing the palm-rest assembly and, voila, both the keyboard and touchpad started working! I got a brand new palm rest assembly online for about $38 including shipping. I am still a bit miffed why the keyboard was rendered inoperable when only the touchpad was faulty. But, who cares, it works now. I would be interested to hear if anyone else had this same problem and if this solved the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice