1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] laptop needs software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

How would one go about loading cd rom software on a laptop with only a floppy drive? It is a compaq lte5300. It does not have a usb port or a network adapter. I was wondering if there was some sort of parallel or serial adapter that I could use to hook it up to my desktop and then install the software that way?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

External cdrom.......???

3. mobo

mobo

If you could network the two together then browse for the installation file on the cdrom it should work..

4. chewie1012

Candy,
    Do they have parallel or serial cd roms?

5. ~Candy~

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=3vh4m62uai72e63&id=752

Parallel or PC card. I'd try to stay away from the ONLY PC CARD as we've been having problems in a few posts getting them recognized in dos. Seems to be a driver installation problem, and you need to get the correct settings loaded via the autoexec.bat and config.sys files which shouldn't be hard, but it sure has turned out that way in at least two threads I've been working on :(

As you can see, they are a tad more pricey than internal ones. I didn't do an extensive search, but that one popped up first.

6. dzones

dzones

Ok here is what I do at my shop.
    You can purchase a little adapter for your laptop hard drive for like 6 bucks on ebay. just search for an ide or laptop hard drive adapter. Remove your hard drive from the laptop and using the adapter, hook it up to your desktop on the secondary ide channel. then load any software you want. if you need windows on it then you could format the drive and put the cab files on there so you could run the setup once you returned the hard drive back.
    Or you could just hook the hard drive up as a master hard drive on your desktop and load your o/s (preferably win98 since it takes the change better than any other os) and then as soon as you get the software loaded, put the hard drive back in the laptop, bnoot it up and the drivers will start re-loading for the motherboard, etc,,

good luck.
    Dave

7. chewie1012

Dzone,
    Can you give me the name of the adapter? That sounds like the best way to go. The laptop already has win 95 and all I need is excel and quicken on the computer. The client only wants to use this laptop for those two programs. He figures if he doesn't have the internet on it he will get more work done. He bought it on ebay for $200.00 and wants to do things as cheaply as possible.
    Thanks to both of you,
    Jerry

8. dzones

dzones

ok let me look it up and i will be right back

9. dzones

dzones

ok I have only ever seen them on ebay but here is the actual item number:

there are many others as well. just do a search for "hard drive adapter"

10. chewie1012

11. ~Candy~

johnwill posted a link to pricewatch in another thread....let me see if I can find it.

12. ~Candy~

13. chewie1012

DZones,

I hope your still subscribed to this post. I have installed the hard drive on my kids computer as a slave and loaded quicken and excel on it and when I put it into the laptop the programs wouldn't work. Do you think it was because it was a slave?
    Jerry

14. ~Candy~

Well, I'm not DZones, but I'll reply anyway :)

Yes, you probably installed them 'thru' the operating system on YOUR computer, to the slave hard drive. The entries for the registry are on your computer. I think DZones was referring to the secondary channel, not slave off the first. You then would boot to your laptop drive and install the programs.......I've never done that setup, but that would be the only logical way I could see it working.

15. chewie1012

Thanks Candy,
    I'm always grateful for anyones help. Yours is always especially nice though so jump in anytime.
    Jerry. I will try this tonight or tomorrow and post if it worked or not. So I should set the drive up as select or master. Will it automatically give me a boot choice?
    Jerry
    PS the laptop drive is win 95 and the computer I am going to use is win 98!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice