1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop not charging and dvd not playing after being dropped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kanaitpro, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed Thread Starter

i am working on an inspiron n7110 that was dropped. now, the batter doesn't charge and the dvd player is not working. when you put a cd on, the icon spins, but nothing happens. if you click on it, it says insert a cd. when it boots, a window pops up and it says that it cannot identify the charger and the battery is not being charged.

the only thing i know about it is a friend said it was dropped, and there is a chip in the cover to the left of the mouse, on the part that comes off so the motherboard is accessible. i had the whole thing completely apart and could find no physical damage at all, reseated all the connections, inspected for signs of damage and found nothing. i thought it may be software related, so i backed everything up and reloaded the os using the factory image and it did nothing except reset the computer. my guess would be motherboard damage that is invisible, but i would hate to advise the customer to pay $200 for a new one and it didn't fix it. anyone have any other ideas or troubleshooting steps i can use to narrow it down further? not sure if it matters, but it is windows 7 home premium, factory image.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Dell chargers often have a central 3rd connector that 'tells' the laptop it's a genuine Dell charger so if it's the charger that came with the laptop I would check that it's not bent or broken off.

Could also be the power socket that got damaged and that's where the bad connection is. Some have a separate power board you can change, not sure about that model though.

The DVD drive could have been damaged in the fall, easiest thing to do is try a known working one, they are usually the same apart from the faceplate which doesn't matter for a test and maybe an adapter on the internal connector you would have to swap over.

EDIT : it seems the power connector on the laptop has a lead that goes to a motherboard connector so it should be easy to replace if necessary. It's on P.112 of the Service manual - download link :- ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...p/inspiron-17r-n7110_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

3. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed Thread Starter

thanx for the quick response, that has to be it. i didn't see any physical damage. that would be why the charger isn't recognized.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. If that doesn't fix it it would be best if you start a new thread since this is one is marked solved now, hope you don't have to though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice