Solved: Laptop not connecting to wireless on wake up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

don_1953

My wife has a COBY 10" netbook, we use a NETGEAR N150 Wireless Router and for some time now, whather she boots from a cold startup or "wakes" this laptop, it has lost the network connection. It gets the "Wireless networks detected" message, sees our Security-enabled wireless network, but instead of automatically connecting, it always asks for the network key.
I have a second laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) that I only use some othe time, primarily for vacations, and when I turn this on it always connects right to the network, even if we've been away and connected to a hotel network. I never have to use the key for our home network once I get back home.

She's getting pretty fed up having to constantly put in the network key on the COBY, this should be a "set it once" and it should remember it should it not? I'm sure it used to, have I missed something?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That Coby 10 has the following wireless card
WLAN Type 801.11b/gWLAN Solution Atheros AR5007EG

Presuming that you are still using that and IT IS on xp
Go Control Panel network connections, and check that the LAN network connection is disabled.
If it is it will say disabled. If not right click and disabled the LAN connection. Then right click the wireless adaptor
and click Properties.. On the window that opens click the wireless network tab. Now look and see the networks listed in the small window. Using the Move up and Move down buttons to the right of that window, place the one you want to connect to at the top of the list - presuming that there is more than one listed. As you will see that it says connect in the order listed.

If there are others shown that you DO NOT use, click the remove botton, having highlighted the entry concerned.
Before leaving that window - is the small box - use windows to configure my wireless network settings checked
if not check it.
See if when you leave as below it will accept that setting - it depends on how the setup is configured.

Now having again clicked to highlight the one at the top of the list - OR NOW the only one click the Properties button. On the window that opens and presuming that your other details will not need changing, click to check the small box -connect even if the network is not broadcasting.
Enter again the network key and confirm the key

Now click the connection tab at the top of the window and click to check the small box Connect when the network is in range

Now exit clicking Ok as required.

Please report the results.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You also posted this in the Networking forum.
I appreciate that on that thread - you did mention the fact that you had also posted HERE.
If for ANY reason you create two threads regarding the same issue in the future, would you please indicate on BOTH that you have so posted.
This enables helpers to easily check if replies have been received or indeed the problem solved, rather than the possibility of them wasting their time, replying to the thread with same advice already given.

don_1953

Sorry for posting in two forums, I would have simply moved if I knew how. In some forums, moderators move them for you, I didn't look clearly enough for the correct forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online