1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop not connecting to wireless on wake up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by don_1953, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

Sorry, I posted this first in the Windows XP forum...

My wife has a COBY 10" netbook running Windows X home SP3.,
    we use a NETGEAR N150 Wireless Router and for some time now, whether she boots from a cold startup or "wakes" this laptop, it has lost the network connection. It gets the "Wireless networks detected" message, sees our Security-enabled wireless network, but instead of automatically connecting, it always asks for the network key.
    I have a second laptop (Toshiba Qosmio) that I only use some othe time, primarily for vacations, and when I turn this on it always connects right to the network, even if we've been away and connected to a hotel network. I never have to use the key for our home network once I get back home.

She's getting pretty fed up having to constantly put in the network key on the COBY, this should be a "set it once" and it should remember it should it not? I'm sure it used to, have I missed something?

2. warrior19

warrior19

3. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

the model we have is: model number: NBPC1023XPBLK

thank you for the drivers links, I did find driver download page on the COBY site

http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=doc

I first tried device manager and uninstalled, then, also found some related programs under ADD/Remove Programs ,and unstalled all wireless and LAN programs. I had a heck of a time getting those driver files to install correctly, thought I was good, but still face the issue of having to keep using the WEP key each time it goes to sleep or restart.

It also seems to remember the Wireless profile even though I deleted that as well? This little laptop seems to have a mind of its own........

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I have replied in the XP Forum.

5. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

Thank you, I tried every and all suggestions, with no impact whatsoever. whether she boots from a cold startup or "wakes" this laptop, it has lost the network connection. It gets the "Wireless networks detected" message, sees our Security-enabled wireless network, but instead of automatically connecting, it always asks for the network key.
    There is nothing important at all on this laptop, so, just before dinner I booted and hit F7, restored it to factory. It took less than 10 minutes, and after rebooting, putting in the Network key the first time, it's working just like it should again. I should have done this three months ago, I have lost count of the times I cleared the network list, and it never fixed it.
    Thanks again for your efforts, it's much appreciated :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice