1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop on a slow-go & error messages

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sussex_Pete, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sussex_Pete

Sussex_Pete Thread Starter

Hello,

My Lapton is an Acer Aspire 5333; O.S. is Windows 7, Anti-virus is ESET NOD 32, which is fully up to date.

The day after undertaking the latest MS Updates, my laptop is running (just) very slowly, crashes inferquently, and takes an age to open even simply items like excel spreadsheet etc. I have run a full scan using and the A.V. found nothing (after several hours of chugging).

This first occured on Thursday 21st (three days ago). I now have the following message in the bottom right of the desktop.

Windows 7
    Build 7601
    This copy of windows is not genuine

I know the copy of windows is genuine, as it was pre-installed on laptop when purchased new circa 13 months ago.

I have just also had a pop-up message in the middle of the screen, with warning triangles etc around it.

"You may be a victim of software counterfitting"
    Please follow the below link...........etc etc

I've had a quick check on Google, and it appears i am not alone with this issue. Can anyone help please, or advise what or how to rectifiy this problem.

I would not describe my technological knowledge of P.C. workings as anything other than "entry level beginner"! all adice very welcome, but can i ask you to keep it as straight forward as is possible please?

Many thanks,

Pete

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Try doing a System Restore to a date before the not genuine message appeared, then reinstall the MS updates to see if it clears up (happened to me once for no apparent reason).

System Restore can be found by Start > Control Panel > Recovery.

3. Sussex_Pete

Sussex_Pete Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response and sorry for delay in coming back to you.

Unfortunately my problem was a damaged hard drive; i now know that when putting away a laptop, one should always wait those few extra seconds for it to SHUT DOWN before dumping it in the rucksack, and tossing the rucksack into the back seat!! The hint is in the title really: that's why it's called SHUT DOWN.

Live and learn......... (the hard-way as usual for me)!

Thanks again, and happy new year

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice