1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Power Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brvsfn01, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a Dell E6510 Lattitude laptop which right now I am using as a desktop replacement. I have my laptop hooked up to a Dell docking station and I have a mouse, keyboard, and 22" vga monitor running through the Dell docking station. Over the past few days my laptop has developed what seems to be an intermitent problem with either the power or the battery or both.

My laptop has the 12 cell Dell Li-On battery and I did some research on how to get the best life out of the battery and based on what I read here on TSG and other places I have been cycling the battery between 30% charge and 80% charge. I have the charger plugged into a power strip and when the laptop drops to 30% charge I turn on the power strip and when it gets to 80% charge I turn it off and all seemed good.

The past few days when I have had the charger turned on the battery light on my laptop which is normally Blue (and blinks when the battery gets to approx 90%) started flashing Yellow and the battery icon in the system tray said "Battery plugged in, not charging". After a few minutes like this charge light turned Blue again and all appeared normal.

Is the battery in my laptop starting to die or is possible the charger going out? When I bought the laptop the person who sold it to me gave me two Dell AC chargers. One was smaller and he told me it is good for traveling and charging the laptop by itself. The second Dell AC charger he gave me is physically larger and he told me if I ever started to use the Dell docking station I would probably want to switch to the larger charger, something about it having a greater power output.

From what I have written here does it sound as if the battery is dying or is something else going on? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks all.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    There is a lot of conflicting information about laptop batteries on the internet. From what I have read the main causes of laptop battery wear are heat and the number of charge/recharge cycles the battery goes through.

I think the best advise is to charge the battery to around 40% then remove it from the laptop and just use the charger to power it and only fit the battery when you need the portability. Of course you can charge it up to 100% beforehand.
    I have seen advise to fully charge then discharge the battery occasionally to 'calibrate' it but to be honest I'm unsure if that's a good idea or not.

Using the higher powered charger with the laptop in the dock makes sense because the circuitry inside the dock needs power too.

I'm sure there will be many other posts about this soon !

EDIT Re the intermittent charging problem Dell often have a extra contact in the centre of the laptop connector that can become a loose fit and cause that. Is that connector a good tight fit ? If it plugs into the dock is that also a tight fit ?

3. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

Allan, thanks for your input. Interestingly I never knew I could run my laptop with the battery removed but I tried it and it is running great and there have been no further issues. I checked on Amazon.Com and I can get a genuine Dell 12 cell battery for my laptop for approx $30 plus shipping so I think I am OK.

BTW, as far as your comment about a "lot of replies" yours was the only one but it only takes one to fix a problem so thanks. I am marking this solved.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome David.

That's a very good price for a 12 cell battery.

I thought there would be some other opinions about this but seems I was wrong.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice