1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop programs dont run after transfer to pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karaman, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo all,

history
    laptop keyb packed up. Win Xp pro sp3 - couldn't use my expensive video editing program. (discs are 2000miles away)

what i did to try to solve it
    bought tower pc - install win xp pro sp3 with two partitions C+D. Then took it to shop and asked chap to copy laptop to partition D. Alas! my expensive program wont run.

what have i done wrong? - should i install XP on partition D also but then i need a dual start at fire-up time. Or just one partition and copy laptop to it? I did not ask how chap in shop copied laptop to pc - i thought it needed a cross-over cable and software that says - copy. The two machines have different hard drives - does that matter or only the way the file systems are set up - fat32/ntfs,etc?

Not a megaproblem but would like to preserve my laptop as is, albeit transferred to the pc.

any ideas?

thanks

karaman

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You can't just simply transfer the contents from the laptops hdd to the desktop and still be able to run the programs. They need to be installed to the desktop not just copied to.

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya karaman.

Rick`s correct, you can`t copy the programs folder and then click the exe file to run it. When a program install`s, it spreads itself into lots of nooks and crannies (ie: into the registry etc) and the exe file you click to start it up is just the programs collective shortcut to the rest of the data.

Sadly for you, the only way round it is to get someone to mail you the disk/s and re-install it again. The upside might be that if you re-install it (or repair, if that`s an option) over the top of the folder that`s been copied, you may keep the integrity of any saved files you had in the program originally.

Jenny

4. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo rick_in_fla and jennyjackson001,

thanks for info - will save me lot of time struggling.... so cant copy from one hdd to another unlike unix where the dd command simply copies EVERYTHING as is from source to target provided both hdd are set up the same way (tracks, cyinders,etc). i thought this was the case here too, so the registry would be copied as well and thus the .exe would access what it needed.

ah well its an aha! experience.

thanks again to both of you

karaman

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!