1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Refuses to Shut Down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by EvilWaffles, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EvilWaffles

EvilWaffles Thread Starter

Hey there,
    I have a completely stock Toshiba Satelilte C655 Laptop, and at some point in the last year it has begun to completely refuse to shut down fully. What I mean by that, is that it seems to go into sleep mode whenever I try to shut it off. Even when it completely dies, it resumes from the hard disc right into the windows login screen.

After I try to shut it off, the screen goes black, but the power light still blinks indicating it is in sleep mode, and when I press the power button it goes right to the Windows loading screen. I have not yet seen the BIOS screen.

I have checked the Power settings (what the power button does, behavior when the screen is closed, etc) and all are set to "Shut Down".

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

2. scobareric

scobareric Banned

Hold the power button down for 7 seconds to force a shutdown.Some times a program that is hanging up at shut down and preventing your OS from stopping. You can check this in your Windows problems and solutions. :)

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

After forcing a full shutdown described above, boot the system into Safe Mode with Networking. You do this by starting to tap the F8 key as soon as you switch it on, you will then see a menu appear, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode with Networking, then press the Enter key.

When it has stopped loading, click on the Start button and select shut down, let me know what happens.

4. EvilWaffles

I forced the shutdown as described, when I pressed the power button I did not get to BIOS to press F8, it automatically went to a "Windows did not successfully shut down" screen which also gave the option to boot into safe mode with networking.
    I then did as you asked and shut it down after booting into safe mode, and when I restarted it went right to the windows loading screen as usual, still no BIOS or otherwise indication that the computer had fully shut down.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

This is an odd problem. Try forcing a shut down, when done pull out the power supply and remove the battery. Hold in the power button for about 30 seconds. Put the battery back in and reconnect the power supply and reboot, see how that goes.

If it now seems normal then shut it down from the Start button and see what happens.

6. EvilWaffles

No change after removing power supply and battery.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Having removed the power supply and the battery the PC will most certainly have fully shut down, what appears to be missing is the Toshiba splash screen when you boot up which gives the options to enter the Bios set up.

Do you know the key to use to enter the Bios set up, I think on a Toshiba it is the esc key, try shutting down using the Start button and selecting shut down, when it appears to be shut down press the power button and immediately start tapping the esc key (or the key you know should be used). See if that gets you into the Bios, there may be an option in the Bios to turn the Toshiba splash screen off or on.

8. EvilWaffles

It worked! F2 was the key to get into BIOS, and in there I found a "Fast Boot" option that was enabled to bypass boot options and BIOS screen. How that got enabled, I'll never know.

But thanks!

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome. Strange things can happen sometimes. Please mark the thread as solved from the Thread Tools tab just above the first post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice