1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop shutting off suddenly/overheating??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jillywilly, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jillywilly

jillywilly Thread Starter

this has randomly happened to me before and now twice tonight, but my laptop will just shut off randomly..i think it may be overheating because the bottom gets quite warm (i put it on my lap to use)

the fan in the back is going but it doesn't sound loud or anything or blowing hard..i don't really know what else it could be

i have a gateway windows xp

thanks if you can help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The Gateway model number would help, they make a lot more than one model.

But you could be right about the overheating, buy a can of compressed air from a computer store and give it a shot up the outlet (where the hot air comes out) to loosen all accumulated dust etc.

Make sure that when using it on your lap the air intakes are not obstructed.

3. jillywilly

M520CS-CT0 i think they are zeros and not O's

and i do have spray air i got from walmart..i usually try to spray the fan area

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That appears to use an Intel Celeron D processor, but not a mobile version. (It uses a desktop chip)

Makes for a cheaper build cost, but at the expense of much higher heat, which is always a problem in a laptop as there is no way to get rid of the heat if anything is less than ideal in airflow.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I was having similar problems on my small laptop. I installed Speedfan and so far (fingers crossed!!) the overheating has stopped. I only installed it with the default settings as I'm not confident enough to alter the internal workings.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I hope this is of use?

Richard

6. jillywilly

i took my spray can of air and sprayed real good into the fan area and it seems to be a barely warm temperature so thats much better!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice