1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop stopped detecting home WiFi network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Verimeilee, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Verimeilee

Verimeilee Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I need some help with a laptop, all of a sudden it stopped detecting my home WiFi network.

The laptop worked fine with this network before and it was configured to connect automatically.
    The laptop detects the whole other bunch of networks around here (neighbours and such) but not my home. Other PCs and smartphones detect and connect to my network just fine.

I tried restarting the laptop, reinstalling and updating the drivers for the WiFi card and nothing worked.

It's an Asus laptop with Windows 8.1

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is the name of this network that you are trying to connect to?

By chance is there another router in the neighbor hood that is using the same network name?
    If so, then you may be trying to connect to the wrong network.

3. Verimeilee

I don't believe that to be the case.
    The name of my home network is "NOS-3AD0", the original name supplied by the internet company provider, they give each network a unique name upon installation and I have not changed it.

I would like to point out that the problem is not only not being able to connect to the network, the laptop doesn't even detect it, the network doesn't show in the list of available WiFi networks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What channel is the router using? What channels does the PC's wireless adapter support?

Often (especially in Europe) your symptoms are a result of the router using channel 12 or 13 but the wireless adapter only supports the North American channels 1 - 11 (or it may have the wrong driver or just be configured incorrectly).

5. Verimeilee

I have no idea, but if you can tell me where to look, I can try to find out.

But if that were the case, wouldn't it have caused this problem from the beginning? or to all my other devices in my home?
    In other words, I have this router and this network for over a year and I never had problems with my devices connecting to it. I have 3 laptops and 2 smartphones in here, only one of the laptops stopped detecting my home network, the other 2 laptops and smartphones connect to it just fine.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To determine what channel the router is using look at the Channel setting in the router configuration pages or use a tool such as the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector (on a PC that detects the signal). There is also a good Android App for this.

Yes, but only if the scenario I outlined existed from the beginning. If, for example, you have your router set to choose the channel automatically the channel may stay the same "forever" or it may change every couple of minutes.

Only if the outlined scenario applies to all of them.

If you answer those two questions from post # 4 we will see what the (current) problem is, or can forget the possible scenario I outlined in that post.

7. Verimeilee

I went into the router configuration pages and found out that it's configured on automatic channel (1-13) with mode 802.11g/n

The wireless card on the laptop is a Ralink, it was configured to a Country Region of 1-11, I changed it to Region 1-13 and also activated the Ad Hoc 802.11n support option.

However, it still won't detect my home network.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you restart the system to make sure the Country Region 1-13 took effect? Is any channel 12 or 13 network being detected?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

9. Verimeilee

Yes, I restarted the system and still it wouldn't detect my home network.

I don't know if any channel 12 or 13 is being detected because the router configuration page does not tell me witch channel is being used at the moment, only that it is on automatic selection.

I did not use that program, so I can not attach a screen shot of it.

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Force the channel on the router temporarily while testing.

11. Verimeilee

I thought about it, but my doubt was: which channel? Or do I test them all one by one?

12. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It doesn't matter,
    Your network card "sees" all channels (except perhaps 12 and 13) and matches by SSID.
    It is a case that it is possible your network card will not see 12 an 13 , but that is unusual. It is only in the US that routers cannot use those channels.
    You choice of channel should be decided by checking which channels are heavily use in THAT location and choosing a lesser used one.
    inSSIDer is a useful tool.

I use the 5Ghz range for my PCs and have it to myself.

13. Verimeilee

I will try that program and get back to you with the results as soon as I can.

Thanks to all of you so far, for your help!

14. Verimeilee

DaveBurnett: thank you very much for suggesting inSSIDer! It is indeed a very useful tool.

After installing it on one of my other laptops at home, I could easily see that my home wifi network was using channel 13, which was overlapping with another 12 networks of the area. The program automatically suggested me that my network would improve if I changed it to channel 6 instead. I did that and it was enough for the laptop to detect and connect to my home network again!

Problem solved! Thank you, once again, so much, you were a huge help. (y)

I will be using this program in the future to monitor and update my wifi network to the best channel possible. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice