Solved: laptop switched off suddenly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sharon_

Hi All,
I was using a Dell Inspiron N4010. I know it is ancient, I bought it in 2010, but it had worked fine till date. No issues except replaced batteries and screen which were both in 2013 each.
I was using VLC player and suddenly my laptop turned off without any warning. This was while the laptop was connected to a laptop fan( external) and so i know it was not due to a heated battery. I tried switching on by pressing the power button but this would just make the power LED light up for a few seconds and then turn off again. I tried repeating this without battery and then tried removing both the battery and the supply then pressing the power button for a while and then tried switching on, but the same thing happens again. I haven't been able to restart my laptop after that. Please help.
Regards,
Sharon

I brought home a co worker lap top the other day. His was doing same thing. Downloaded instructions and broke it down to mother board which it was apart, found where processor cooler was gummed up. (He smokes) Tar and nicotine. over heated processor and components. My suggestion is to find a confident person or shop to check out your lap top.

sharon_

Thank you, xpuser35776. I was really hoping to resolve this issue before going to a service centre because they tend to charge an arm and a leg just to take a look! Has anyone else any solutions?

Hi Sharon,

I've been fixing computers for the past 5+ years and am A+ certified. I have seen a similar issues as this one but it was from an HP laptop. Unfortunately, It ended up that the motherboard needed replacing (being that it had overheated) so the owner just went ahead and bought a new laptop. The motherboard for your laptop is about 85 dollars on eBay. It could however be just the cpu or the cpu fan and heatsink that needs replacing. Those parts are relatively cheap but replacing them would kind of a pain. hope this helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online