1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop to tv connection won't play video files on tv screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CelticMoon, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CelticMoon

CelticMoon Thread Starter

I've got an s-video out and 3.5mm stereo to scart cable connecting my notebook to my tv. Video card is ATI Radeon IGP 340 integrated. It all seems to be working fine, except that when I try playing any video files in windows media player, the movie shows up as a monotonous deep purple on the tv screen. Sound works fine though. Any tips on what to do to be able to watch videos from my notebook on tv screen? :confused:

2. DeLorean

DeLorean

The dreaded purple, you need to enable 'overlay' or use an overlay filter otherwise movie files won't be sent down the S-Video cable. In Windows Media Player 10 you go to Options > Performance > Advanced (under Video Acceleration) and tick both 'Use Overlays' boxes.

Hope that works.

EDIT: After testing I just discovered that overlays still won't show on the TV unless they are sent as fullscreen (I've always used this) so in the Catalyst Control Panel you will need to select in the Video options for Clone Mode or Extended mode (whichever your TV uses) to display overlays in "Theatre mode (fullscreen)".

This means that even a windowed or minimised movie on the laptop will display as fullscreen on the TV, handy if you wanna watch a movie while you work.

3. CelticMoon

CelticMoon Thread Starter

Thanx DeLorean - you're a lifesaver!! Works perfectly now (y) (actually I had to un-tick the first overlay box to make it work though)

4. bouncerhvj

bouncerhvj

Thanks Also! I had the same problem with playing video from my laptop to the tv and came across this thread after searching Google. I just had to uncheck the overlay filter box for my zplayer program to play videos. The problem had been plauging me for quite awhile and now its solved! Thanks Again!

5. mullers

mullers

Howzit folks

I have the opposite problem - I hooked up my laptop via S-video to my TV (Mitsubishi rear projection HD) and worked like a charm, but now I see any video on my laptop. When I first hooked them up I noticed that the video was visible on the TV but not in Winamp (which was what I had opened the file in), and now that I have disconnected the two I am still unable to see any video irrespective of the video software.

I'm assuming some system video settings were automatically adjusted - any suggestions would be oh so much appreciated!

Thanks

6. mullers

mullers

Jeez - I should have reread that before posting. Apologies!

"I have the opposite problem - I hooked up my laptop via S-video to my TV (Mitsubishi rear projection HD) and it worked like a charm, but now I CANNOT see any video on my laptop. When I first hooked them up I noticed that the video was visible on the TV but not in Winamp (which was what I had opened the file in), and now that I have disconnected the two I am still unable to see any video irrespective of the video software.

I'm assuming some system video settings were automatically adjusted - any suggestions would be oh so much appreciated!

Thanks"

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice