1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop turns off when unplug, battery 100%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrovamp, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I have a gateway m-6851. I bought this battery 2 months ago. This just started happening today. My laptop is running fine, I unplug it to move it. I assumed it went to battery power, but nope. It turned off. This happens 100% of the time. I've tried reseating the battery twice. Windows 7 reads it at 100% with no problems. any ideas?

I don't know that much about hardware, but is there maybe some setting thats messed up. Such as a setting that tells windows to switch to battery, or try to switch to battery, because windows reads the battery just fine.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Check your power settings to see what Windows is set to do, when the AC power is unplugged.
    I can't imagine a setting that would turn your computer off entirely, but perhaps your display/hard disk..etc, are shutting off when the laptop is unplugged? (I sorta doubt that could be the problem, since the computer never wakes up)

If not that, it could be a battery issue. How long does your battery last usually?

3. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I forgot to add a sympton, it does not turn on without the power plugged in. This is a new battery, I got it last month, usually lasts bout 80 mins. When the computer is turned on it tells me th battery is fully charged.

4. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

well, its fixed, i have no idea what happened or what fixed it. There are only 2 things i did differently, i played a high graphics game...and I made sure the wall plug was really in there, when i exited the game windows showed by battery at 40%......now that I typed this, I can make one more guess....My battery was dead, and somehow there was a setting that got fixed so instead of windows or my laptop thinking it was charged and not charging it, it realized it needed to be charged, im marking this as solved for now

5. vicks

vicks

Did you let the battery charge for at least 12 hours before you tried using it? New batteries usually need a charging time before using.
    Vicks

6. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

yep, as I said earlier it was working great form a whole month, also I tried my backup battery which was fully charged, that didnt work either

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933364