1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Turns On & Off When Plugged Into Socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xoox, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xoox

xoox Thread Starter

Hi,

For the past few weeks, my Samsung laptop has been showing the 'You may need to replace battery' on my Windows 7 OS computer.

Today, I plugged in my computer to the power socket and turned on the computer. For a while, the power indicator was lit in red color without any other kind of response.

After a while, this turned green, and the computer turned on while pressing the power switch. On bootup, the computer asked me to either 'launch startup repair' or 'start windows normally'. Even before I could respond, the computer turned off..Pressing the power switch does nothing..but every now and then, the computer turns on by itself and turns off before the intro 'Samsung' name is displayed. This has been continuing for a while.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks a lot.

-------------------------------------------
    Specs:

Model : Samsung R428 (the specs I could gather from the internet are :

Intel Core i3 350M Dual Core Processor (3MB Cache, 2.26GHz Speed)
    4GB RAM
    6 Cell LI-Ion Battery

2. pip22

pip22

Try running it on mains power only, with battery removed.

If it starts up okay and doesn't shut off unexpectedly, the battery has "died" and needs replacing with a new one.

3. xoox

xoox Thread Starter

Thanks for the message Pip22.

I completely removed the battery from the laptop and tried booting while plugged in. The power indicator still shows a green color, but the computer does not boot. The laptop customarily lights up in blue color around the power switch, touchpad,etc. when it is powered on. Even this does not happen.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It might be a power supply problem or a worn out a/c adapter.

5. xoox

xoox Thread Starter

Thanks SUEOHIO. Not sure if it was a power supply problem although it is a possibility.

What I did was I left the battery out and left the computer stay off through the night. Now in the morning, I plugged the battery back and turned it on. It seems to be working without any issue.

So I presume that either the power supply has now become okay (but the TV, desktop computer were all working fine!) or that there was some loose contact with the battery earlier that was fixed by replugging it.

Thanks a lot.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are very welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice