1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop will run off battery but not AC. I've even put in a new AC jack. Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nostzz, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

So I'm fixing (or trying to fix) a friends laptop. It's a HP Pavilion zv5120us. The problem is that when powered on, the laptop will not accept power from the AC adapter (which should be low voltage DC power from the adapter to the laptop right?). It will however charge the battery when the computer is shut off. So it will run till the battery is dead, then charge itself and then you can turn it on again. With the battery taken out and AC jack plugged in, if you try to boot it up the fans will start to spin for a fraction of a second and the LEDs will light for just as long too, but that's it. So power is getting to at least some of the system.

Apparently the zv5000s have similar problems like, no battery charge, no power whatsoever and most of these problems originate from the AC jack. Sometimes the jacks themselves get damaged or the soldering is poor so I took it apart and checked it out. I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT AND INSTALLED A NEW JACK. My soldering was top notch. The problem persists in exactly the same manner. I have also tested the AC adapter. It has a green LED that comes on and with a multimeter it registered 18.9V on the 200 setting for V DC volts. The AC adapter label says 18.5V so it is o.k. Maybe there's some stupid setting that got switched so the laptop won't run off wall power.

If anything triggers a thought for anyone please reply, I want to get rid of this thing. :(:(:(:(

2. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

Went ahead and got a refurbished system board. Prob solved. Thanks to everyone for your help. :rolleyes:

3. aceetobee

aceetobee

Nostzz, I just had the same thing start happening to my Gateway laptop today-although now I notice the battery level is holding at 0% and I started this 40 min session at 33% and the machine is still on!
    Where did you find a refurbished board for your friend's HP and how easy was it to change out? I haven't done much for laptop repairs but have worked on my desktops with some success.

4. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

aceetobee, we found a pretty cheap one on eBay. A brand new board was going to be $200-$300 but we got the refurbished for a little under $100. The only problem was that the first one was bent in half! We called the company though and they shipped a new one for free, so everything was good in the end.

As for changing it out, HP has a great step by step dismantling guide for any of their models. Gateway might have some manuals floating around the internet. As for tools all you need is a small screwdriver kit and maybe a 5mm hex driver.

Good luck!

5. aceetobee

aceetobee

Thanks Nostzz. I got lucky and only had to replace the ac cord for $25. I was getting ready to buy a new laptop but hopefully the old Gateway will carry on another year or two now.
    It sounds like if I ever do need to change out a laptop board I should be able to handle it. Thanks again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice