1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Won't Charge Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by broncs60, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. broncs60

broncs60 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Laptop and the laptop will not charge the battery, in the power window the battery meter reads 100%, but when I unplug the laptop it shuts off imediatley. The battery and power supply (cord) is new only 3 months old. Any ideas!

2. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

how many times have you fully discharged the battery?

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you may need to recalibrate the battery - toshiba should have a power management or option to do that - whats the exact model - it maybe in the user manual and available online

4. broncs60

broncs60 Thread Starter

The Model number is PSM40U-01R001, I have not tried to discharge the battery or calibrate it. I will have to llok up on how to do either one of those things, the computer has been unplugged for two weeks, but the computer still says the battery is at 100%

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

just to clarify the computer is unplugged for two weeks and still working - batteries usually only last 2-6 hours ...
    does it show 100% and then give you a warning to save your work just before the battery dies

I think that partnumber is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S331

6. broncs60

broncs60 Thread Starter

I was able to get the computer to drain the battery and charge it right by re-installing the Toshiba power managment software. Thanks for all your help.

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

(y) - excellent - thanks for letting us know

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925580