Solved: laptop wont start up but has power

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

QLo

I have an hp pavilion dv5 w/vista, when I try to pwer it up it starts and I can hear the fan but after about 15 seconds it all stops. the lights on the keyboard stay on but nothing happens.

honestly I already gota new laptop I just want to get the music and files off that computer. luckily I already got my pictures off of there before it went down.

I do not have any disks etc... I found the paperwork it came with it said I should have downloaded them.. oops

I tried unplugging the battery and restarting but it still does the same thing

any ideas? thanks.

etaf

Wayne
take the battery and ac adapter out - hold the power switch on for 60seconds

- try safemode
as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode - see if that works

QLo

hi. thank you. but it didn't help. its a dv7, not dv5 I just realized. tried your instructions a few times but it didn't work. nothing comes up on the screen at all.

etaf

Wayne
if all you want is to copy the data - try this
------------------------------------------------------------------------

UBUNTU Stand Alone CD

NOTE : version Ubuntu 12.04

It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/ - Choose the option Write image file to disc
OR
you can use this stand alone ISO Burner to burn the ubuntu onto CD ftp://terabyteunlimited.com/burncdcc.zip

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see a screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images labelled

== > Try ubuntu
== > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use "Try ubunto" ONLY. This option will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat, only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

NOTE: if you only see a black screen - then this is a known issue, and can be resolved by using the following:-
On some hardware configurations, you need to set some kernel parameters for ubuntu to boot or work properly. A common one is nomodeset, which is needed for some graphic cards that otherwise boot in to a black screen or corrupted splash, acpi_osi= to fix lcd backlight and other problems.
full details are here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

If you press the F6 key, a menu at the bottom will open allowing you to set kernel options with the space bar or enter key. You can close the menu with escape key and resume booting by selecting the option “try ubuntu without installing” (please note that session does allow you to install ubuntu once you found the kernel options cured your problem).
If everything worked OK and you should be on the ubuntu desktop

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
Vista/Windows 7 look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

----------------------------------------------------------

QLo

ugh. I downloaded but dont have a blank cd big enough to burn it on the only one I have is 700 and it is 743. on pause for now.

etaf

Wayne
The ISO will burn onto a normal size CD
are you using the correct software as posted - you do NOT copy the ISO - create a bootable volume using the software

QLo

I don't know how to do that/or know what means. I tried following the few different ways above but none worked. I got as far as burning with the last option and that's where it told me the cd wasn't big enough.

thank you for your patience.

QLo

using imgburn, it still said its too big for cd, I just told it to burn until it was full. burning now ill try after

QLo

that version said it was going to take 1hr20min to download? when I click that link there are 20+ choices to use. I chose the first one but does that download time seem right?

etaf

Wayne
you cannot normally trust those times - see how it goes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online