1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Large deletions aren't showing up as free hard drive space on Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kapustin Yar, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

I have a TOSHIBA Satellite L305-S5933. It has a 250gb of hard space. About 225gb after formatting. Its about two years old.

I had only 4.37gb of free space so I decided to free up some space. I deleted more than 50gb of movies from the drive and it still shows the same 4.37gb of free space. How can I fix this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can remove shadow copies if you want using Disk Cleanup's second page. A copy is made of every deleted file, which also means moved files since they are deleted from one place.

But when you need to consider space, you probably need to get more.

3. Kapustin Yar

What is Disk Cleanup's "Second Page" and how do I access it?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
    or
    Start > Run: cleanmgr

5. Kapustin Yar

Hi The problem has been fixed. I have Rollback RX installed. When I deleted a couple of backups and defragged them the missing space showed up. Now I have 90+gb.

I wouldn't have thought of this if the disk cleanup hadn't reminded me of backup files. Thanks very much for your help. You're a champ :D:D:D:D:D

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

I hope you realize that Roolback RX will be useless when your hard drive fails.

7. Kapustin Yar

Well hopefully it will keep my hd from failing. Besides, it is a quick and easy way to restore my files. I'm open to new ideas if you have any?

8. raybro

raybro

Hard drive failure really has nothing to do with any program. Its generally a result of a mechanical fault or electronics failure.

Regarding other backup options... A well thought of backup program is Acronis True Image. Just Google it and you can find it available in a number of places. I tend to favor Amazon. That said... there are a number of free programs which will do the job. I use and recommend Easeus ToDo Backup Home. To use the program properly, you will need a second hard drive. You can use either a secondary master (in a desktop) or a USB external (desktop or laptop). This is necessary so you have a place to store the backup image in the event of failure of your internal HDD. It is a simple process to boot into Easeus (using a flash drive) then restore your internal drive to the configuration it was in when the backup image was created. This can be done to either the original HDD (if its still usable) or a new HDD. This process may also be used if (read "When") you get a virus or spyware that gives you real problems. Personally, I would not be without a full backup. I've used it a number of times with my machine and those of my friends.

9. Kapustin Yar

Thanks Raybro. I already use Acronis and Norton. I use both because neither is foolproof but usually I can get one or the other to work.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice