1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Large display/graphics card problems after driver update

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RT, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RT

RT Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just "updated" a NVIDIA card driver to the new "Detonator XP" version as alerted to us by brianf here
    (not blaming you brianf! :) )
    I read it to be a sort of one size fits all products driver update, but after installing and restarting my display is really messed up :(

Running W98SE, Vid card is NVidia Vanta/LT, a low line, Iknow, but worked fine until the "update."

I've got a "wrap-around" desktop, split as it were (mouse has to go left out of the display to get to the hacked off desktop displayed on the right), with a big three inch dark stripe on the right 3/4 screen , strange colors, only 16 bit color @640x480 resolution available...you have perhaps heard of these things before, eh?

I thought of reverting to my previous driver, but that did not work (IF I even did that part correctly). I hoped a scanreg/restore might help, perhaps it did, as at least now I have a display of sorts, but I don't have the display properties available to me I once did.

I'm either not doing this right, or am forgetting to do something...
    ...or the brain cels needed are dead or stuck on the bottom of the stack :confused:

It may be just the display probs, but the whole machine seems to respond differently...:confused: :confused:

(might should 've posted in a different place, ifso.. move me .. :)

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I don't have that type of card so I can't run the driver setup to test it but alot of the driver setup programs want you to change to the Standard VGA driver before running them. Try changing to the Standard VGA ...

Right click on an empty spot on the desktop and select Properties. Now click on Settings>Advanced. Then click on Adapter>Change. Now click on Next. Now select "Display a List ...". Now Select "Show All Hardware". Now in the left pane select "Standard Types" and in the right pane select "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)".

Follow the prompts and after Windows restarts, shutdown your antivirus program and rerun the new driver setup program.

BTW, do you have the original driver CD for the card?

3. brianF

brianF

Sorry about that, your display adapter is supported by that release, don't know what happen.

go to start/settings/control panel/display/settings/advanced button/adapter/select change, go throught the prompts, check the show compatible. Scroll all the way to the top, select standard vga, hit okay, follow prompts, dont reboot.

Go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs, if the nvidia driver install is listed in there select it and hit remove.

Now try and reboot and reinstall your old drivers.

Did you change over to std vga when you installed the xp detonators?????

Let us know what happens

4. brianF

brianF

If that doesn't work you may have to go here and download detonator destroyer http://www.guru3d.com/files/ It will remove all traces of nvidia drivers from your machine and allow you to do a clean driver install. follow the instructions in the readme file. I have used it and it does what it says it does without any harm that I could see.

Guess that's the last time I post driver release's
    I'm using them without any problems Go figure

5. RT

RT Thread Starter

As I said, I don't blame you, Mr f!
    I thought getting new drivers from the mfg was a good thing!

Thanks to both bryans (brians) for your timely reply!

I'll post back right after I finish burning the chicken on the grill !

6. padutch

padutch

brianF
    Don't feel bad about the NVIDA drivers!!!! I spent about 5 days in horror trying to update them. I used drivers from thier site , from a windows site snd from a generic site. Needless to say whatever way I tried to install them I had problems. It was a big nightmare. Some problems were wouldn't boot directly into windows, ( this was with one set of drivers) another was nothing but 16 colors, another was that every time I booted up to windows it would want to install my video card. Finally I got my old drivers to install, how I don't know. but it works fairly good. One thing though is that although it still shows the same version as befor it is about half and half. Files from the old version and from the new. I was going to work on that but as long as it works I think I will let it alone.
    DUTCH

7. RT

RT Thread Starter

Chicken having been burnt to perfection, I return to try and post (a third time) with news similar to padutch's...(I am being kicked off here and getting my ISP's connect window instead of the usual connect popup, but one thing at a time)...

I tried all the Bryan's/brian's suggestions, including the destroyer,
    still sort of in the same boat = somewhat more better, but it ain't right yet.

Dutch, it's the "how I don't know" part of your post that might help me now :) .

I did not set to std VGA before, but tried that per instructions, and still getting a prompt to insert "NVIDIA compatable driver disk #1 "(or sometimes #5).

I only have one disk for vga support called Daytona that apparently has the Vanta drivers for Win9x on it, nothing's working right so far, but if I stick with 640x480 and 256 clrs (now 16 bit works, too) I can see what's up on the screen, no wrap around. I now have the 800x600 option, but if I choose that (my prefrence)that's what results in the wrappin' around and the twilightzone colors now.

8. RT

RT Thread Starter

BTW
    I have disabled wallpaper, but when I bring up the display properties window up on the desktop, I can grab the title bar and drag it about ... the more I drag it to the right the yellower it gets, up to a point, then it finally begins to get the normal windows standard color, like it sorta passes through a "zone".

I guess that doesn't help much, but it's kinda weird here.

9. brianF

brianF

Don't quite understand it. I change drivers a lot and never had a problem like that.

Try this if you dare.

Go back to guru3d link above, download the 21.83 WQHL certified drivers. Once downloaded create a folder on your desktop, then extract the executable into the folder.

Go back to display properties, change to std vga again, reboot, go back to display properties, adapter, change, when you see the have disk button click it, browse to the folder you created for the drivers, select the .inf file, hit okay.

Hopefully the drivers will install properly

Anyother thing, while you in display properties make sure your monitor is still properly recognized, if not, change and select the proper monitor.

Hope this helps.

10. brianF

brianF

I should have mentioned this before. Did your video card software install any 3rd party components with the drivers.
    If it did you need to uninstall it. Most third party add ons won't work with nvidia reference drivers, cause problems.

Some manufacturers like to add there own little tweaking programs etc, these won't work with reference drivers and should be uninstalled before changing drivers

11. RT

RT Thread Starter

You sure about that?
    I don't have a Dell, but I guess that's not what your suggesting...
    I don't have Win XP or W2k...I'm running W98..(made sure that was the Nvidia dowload site before,etc)

Just asking because that's what the link looks like it's for...?

12. brianF

brianF

www.guru3d.com just ftp's nvidia reference drivers with nvidia's permission. I have a creative gforce2 gts now, before a guillemont prophet DDR, I download and use there drivers a lot.
    There the same thing you would get from nvidia, just that nvidia doesn't have anything but the current release for download.
    21.83 are microsoft certified, that's why I choose that one. that's what WHQL means

My son also use's those drivers on his visiontek gforce3 ti200, no problem.

We never install the manufacturer's drivers, just download from there and install those.

21.83 come in different flavors, make sure you download the win9x/me version, not 2k or xp

13. brianF

brianF

RT I sent you an email

14. RT

RT Thread Starter

Got it, and your connection is faster
    I replied, your connection has ESP!

15. RT

RT Thread Starter

Here's where I stand today:

I tried a few variations on your suggestions. Did have to reinstall the proper monitor. I also tried re-installing the new drivers - same problems. Ended up installing the original ones from the CD.

(Version 4.12.01.0752, dated 2-22-01)

I now have 32-bit color @ 640x480, and 32-bit @ 1024x768. My screen appears normal at those resolutions (except for the size, of course).
    The problem starts when try to set it to 800x600 (my prefered res). In all versions of the drivers I've tried (even tried some older ones from 2000) selecting 800x600 gives the weird colors and split desktop.

I'm going to give the 21.83 WHQL a try next.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice