1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: larry133 laptop 5420

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larry133, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larry133

larry133 Thread Starter

I have a acer extenas 5420 and it will not power up. I push the power button and it comes on but gos out. I have tryed to remove the battery and power supply, then hold down the power butten. then installing battery and power supply ( did not work ).all i did was install windows 7 and all drives; it worked fine for a few days but i truned it off and this happen when i turned it on. also i can hear the hard drive start and the cooling fan come on, but the light gos out.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy

I am NOT quite certain what this means would you please explain
    I think I am right in saying that the laptop orignally came with Vista or XP but not with 7.
    How have you installed 7 please
    From where did you obtain 7 and in respect of
    power led or HDD led please

will it boot to the 7 DVD

3. larry133

larry133 Thread Starter

The unit came with vista and i installed windows 7. the operating system is oem and purchased at compusa.
    I installed as the the instruction indicated, also formatted hard drive with windows system.i had to install lan driver and also i up-dated the video and graphic drives. It will not even boot to the bios screen,when you push the power button the light comes on and gos out; in about 10 seconds the light comes back on and then gos out. that is want happens, did you get the attachment

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

what attachment?

and I presume drives means drivers eg the lan and video.

If you cannot get a boot to BIOS or to the Windows 7 DVD it is unlikely that the problem can be solved by way of help on an online forum.

The evidence tends to suggest a power circuit or regretfully a motherboard or processor fault
    If the latop is one on which the hard drive can be easily removed from either the hard drive caddy on a slide out drawer or from a panel on the base, I would try that and see if it posts without the hard drive in.

It is a long shot and I do not hold out a lot of hope
    When you installed windows 7 did you then enter BIOS and make any changes there.
    If so that may be the cause if it was never rebooted until the failure after the changes.

I wish you the best of luck.

5. larry133

larry133 Thread Starter

thank you for your time; i also think it is the motherboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!