1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laser/Optical mouse questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by logan289, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

I'm looking for a new mouse. The only thing I require is that it is a laser or optical mouse. However, I don't quite understand the difference between the two. I used to have an optical mouse long ago and I use a glass mousepad, but only the old Ball mouse I had worked on that mousepad and the optical mouse had tracking problems. I hear that a laser mouse is stronger and could work on that kind of surface, but I wanted to ask before buying.

On the same subject, I'm really not sure on what kind of mouse brand/type to get. I never really know what to look for and not every mouse has reviews. Of course, the cheaper, the better since I am on a bit of a budget, but I want a decent quality product.

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

In terms of optical/ laser mice, an optical mouse is one that uses light bouncing from the surface its on to determine mouse movement. A laser mouse uses a concentrated light source to do the same thing. The upshot is that a laser mouse might be better at icking up movement, and having a higher DPI rate, as the light SHOULD be more coherent. In real terms, there is buggerall difference as far as I have found.
    For a recomendation, depends what you want it for. As a nice basic mouse, any microsoft mouse will probably do well- for all their faults, they do make good hardware. Get the lowest spec one that does what you wanr- if you want a 3 button scrolly mouse, get one, not a 5 button super duper does everything job, as chances are the extra bits will never get used. :)

3. BG-0

BG-0

Browse buttons on the mouse are quite handy, and if you're a gamer, sensitivity change buttons are a nice thing too, still not that useful as the browse buttons.
    BTW, Gulo, your location is missing a word :eek:

4. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks.

5. jack8

jack8

I use the MX1000 by Logitech and find it very good.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice