1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Launch Windows Repair????

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by brothepro, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brothepro

brothepro Thread Starter

My son has taken to a new online game called MineCraft. It seems to be very addicting. It also seems to attract a lot of viruses and suspicious downloads. I noticed some suspicious files on his system and removed them about two weeks ago.
    Then, yesterday, his system (Windows 7) shuts down and when you try to re-boot instead of the typcial, "Windows did not shut down properly, would you like to restart in Safe Mode or Normally", we are getting the message:

"Windows did not shut down properly, would you like to Launch Window Repair or start Windows in Normal mode?"
    I have never seen this before and suspected a virus so I tried normal mode a couple of times and received the same blank error page from Toshiba (btw he has a Toshiba Satellite laptop, couple of years old) stating that "An Error has Occured, please hit the OK button". When you hit OK the system shuts down again.

Before I try the "Launch Windows Repair" mode, just curious if anyone has seen this before and if it truly is a virus or malware.

thanks,
    Brothepro

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows repair is normal, comes with Win 7. It can fix startup problems.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

If you accept the option, you might encounter this.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Which version of W7? Which model & model # Toshiba?

If you can get to Windows normal mode, please download & install this forum's system info program; then post the results.

It is true, as LunarLander states that Windows repair is part of Windows. However, it is not normally presented as an option when the computer is running well.

RF123

4. brothepro

brothepro Thread Starter

Thanks to all for responses and I apologize for the delay in getting back with updates. As it turned out, I had the recovery discs, loaded them up and sure enough, "Launch windows repair" was an option. So I took it and everything appears to be running smoothly again.

However, not sure if I trust this game/site, Minecraft. If anyone has every heard of it and has info/comments regarding safety, would welcome the comments.

5. huggie54

huggie54

hi.my youngest son plays minecraft online with his friends,never had any problems,hope this reasures you huggie54

6. simsboy27

simsboy27

Hello,

Minecraft itself has always been fine for my household. We've never had any problems with it. One thing you do need to be careful of though on Minecraft is the Minecraft Modding. Many of those mods you can download can contain viruses and most you have to go through adfly (a redirecting website, you are shown a boatload of ads).

Here's the MyWot report for Minecraft, all the comments are positive.
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/minecraft.net

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

b:
    Congratulations!
    Thanks for providing your solution.

Please mark the thread "solved" when you are satisifed with the status of the computer.

EXCELLENT POINT, S 27

There is no free lunch.

unsubscribed

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

If the malware is a rootkit, a repair or re-install, not even with disk format, will catch a rootkit.

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice