1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: layer 2 or 3 switch "port" question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tjamnz, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Hello,

In my quest to figure out vlans today... This book im reading refers to switch ports as having more that one device attached to them in some situations.

Im wondering what are some of the more common port configurations for
    a "single port" on a multi-port switch. Im not referring to the root ports or ports that are used to connect to other layer 2 or 3 devices for redundancy. But for some reason.. I always think of one node as connected to a port switch and thats it, (a printer perhaps, one pc, or a server etc) creating just one segment. I just figured that on big switches, there would be enough ports for dedicating one device per port.

So what Im looking for... is when people talk about having more that one device per port (on a switch)... do you know what there referring to exactly? Or are they just really saying that in some cases a single port can support "multiple devices" by actually connecting to another hub, bridge, or switch and its devices (and the mac addresses which would be added to that specific port ( routing table)? Im just trying to make sure im not overlooking anything

Any tips would be great. thanks much.

2. O111111O

O111111O

Trunk ports. What you're referring to is fairly correct in that you would typically see that with hubs/other switches/etc.

A VLAN tagged [trunk] port can carry multiple VLANs of traffic at Layer2. So you can have logical separation over one physical port.

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

cool thanks... I can see then, how just using one high end switch, could provide nearly limitless possibilites as far as quality of service goes, and make it easy to control collision domains as well. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!