Solved: LCD power requirements

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bimfi

I am in the process of building a PC to ship to the Philippines. The voltage there 220 vac, 60hz. I know that I will have to switch the PS to 230v, but what about the LCD monitor? From all that I've read so far, most LCDs can accommodate 120 and 220 volts and automatically switch to 220 vac when plugged in. But, is this true? I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to have it fried when plugged in. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmm. At least my Samsung Syncmaster works here in Finland where we have 220(230) V wall output. Don't know if it's some EU version or such, tho.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check the specifications for whatever specific monitors you are considering. The AC operating voltage should be listed in a detailed spec sheet.

bimfi

You're right. After checking specs on the manual, I found that they auto range anywhere from 95 -230 vac. On another note, I also found that a lot of inkjet printers are built the same way. Just food for thought.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
A lot of products are now using Switch Mode power supplies that are much more efficient and weigh less than the older linear supplies that use big iron core transformers. Its probably cheaper for the manufacturers to build a lot of a single version of a Switch Mode supply that can handle any input voltage than smaller quantities each of different versions for different input voltages.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online