1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Leaky toilet tank

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by pcguy9441, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to fix a leaky toilet tank? I can't tell if it's leaking from the main seal or where the bolts go thru the tank to clamp it down. I replaced the original 20 yr old washers with new rubber washers where the bolts pass through the tank bottom and installed a new main seal. But it's still leaking. ??? what else is there to do? I know tightening the bolts is critical, not too tight so as to distort the washer but not too loose. They are pretty snug.

Any tricks of the trade I'm missing? Never seen sealant used here.

2. peck1234

peck1234

3. Deke40

Deke40

You didn't mention whether you checked where the main water line hooks up to the flush valve.

Also how about the gasket where the valve goes through the tank.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

It's not leaking there. It's leaking from the bottom of the tank. Either the large main seal or the small washers around the two bolts that hold the tank down or both. After braking the float ball yesterday and installing a new float valve today then tightening up the bolts another 1/2 turn I'll check it again tomorrow (I don't live in the house). The instructions with the float valve said "do not apply sealant to the rubber seal" so that settles that question. We have a home warranty with a $60 deductable and as much as I hate to do it, I may just let a plumber wrestle with it and come back 3 times till it stops leaking. I have a feeling it's a matter of how tight is tight enough. Not enough and it leaks, too much and it distorts the gasket/washer and it leaks.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

Wipe down the bottom of the toilet bowl to make sure it is dry and then put some paper towel on the floor to see where it is dripping. Should not be that hard to figure out. As I recall you have where the water line connects to the float and then the tanks connecting to the toilet. You start tightening things too much and you risk cracking the porcelain. Might be too early in the year but another issue can be sweating causing what looks like a leak.

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. It seems to be ok now after a little more tightening yesterday.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's really easy to remove the tank and replace all the seals, which will surely solve the issue if it leaks again... :)

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Yeah, the problem is I did all that and it still leaked, not as much, but some. I'm generally pretty good at fixing stuff from cars to computers, but for whatever reason toilet's drive me nuts. It's still got a very minor seeping kind of leak and I'll probably take it apart again and install a new gasket kit with larger diameter tank bolts. The first time I put some silicon high vacuum grease on the main seal, maybe that was the problem. The grease usually works well as insurance on smaller fittings.

I'm on to more fun stuff now trying to bring my computer back from the dead after a failed Win7 install attempt over XP.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Exactly..that way you can leave a metal wash out from inside the tank.
    If you find yourself still having to use a metal washer inside the tank..be sure it isnt against the tank

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice