1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Learning how to remove duplicate files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redoak, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

I ran "JV 16" in the 'find dupicate files' mode, with a resulting list of well over 1000 entries in a multitude of pairngs in some cases up to five in a grouping. My question: How do I become informed enough to choose which file(s) can be safely removed? Conversely, which one is the 'real thing' and should remain? There must be "books" on this subject, since there are individuals who are knowledgeable enough to perform the proper removal(s). They had to learn this from somewhere. Where do I go to learn how to handle what "JV 16" and other "registry cleaners'" provide in a raw list?

2. bobol

bobol

google search for a start// wise that you ask that question b4 deleting everything (y)
    ask here in the forum for what people consider reliable registry cleaners. I hear Registry First Aid is good--- I use a purchased cleaner- 'TuneUp Utilities' that works flawlessly with XP sorting temp files and registry, but pretty good free programs are out there.

3. redoak

"Bobol" - Thanks for the Google suggestion. Perhaps I should go to a bookstore, too.
    I have looked at 4-5 registry cleaners, but all of them just find things that MAY be deleted. There has to be a "clue" as to what should be left in place and what can safely be removed. That is what I am looking for. I have all but one of your suggested programs in place, plus a firewall program and others.. I am well protected; at least for three years now, with no intrusions.

4. bobol

bobol

yes, i noticed most programs 'leave' the option to you as to whats deletable, thats why i like my tune-up utilities, I have no misfortunes with what it automatically cleans out, so I rest assured there- if you like it has a trial version, and is modestly priced... and has a vast amount more functions available.

5. redoak

"Bobol": You told me what I wanted to hear: A program that makes good decisions for the unsophisticated! I will look into Tune-up Utilities promptly. Presumably, I will find it via Google. Thanks for coming back to me.

6. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Redoak-- I should have said this the other day when I recommended JV16. There are two things I would stay away from: Zero length files, and Duplicate files. Some programs need a zero length file to run properly, and you already found out about the Duplicate files. They aren't hurting anything, and I believe they should be left alone. I still maintain that JV16 is pretty much the best you'll find. RegCrawler is excellent for cleaning out registry entries left behind by apps/programs you've uninstalled.

7. redoak

I ran TU U this morning with a good deal of satisfaction.

I understand the comments re leaving some types of files alone, as posted re JV 16.

Thanks to all who replied with helpful advice/suggestions. :)

8. bobol

bobol

no problemo redoak (y) glad you love it-It's smooth sailing isn' it!
    ps. sorry i didn't leave link... i'm a bit fuzzy on forum rules as to whether I can leave links for proggies you may eventually pay for-i hope a moderator can clarify that for me :eek:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice