1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Left-Click not working in Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnston-chan, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnston-chan

johnston-chan Thread Starter

Hi guys,

The left click on my opitical mouse is not opening URLs in Internet Explorer 8. It works perfectly well in all other programs (Including the tool bars within IE). Also the mouse icon becomes the 'hand' tool rather than the click-arrow within the main screen. I can right-click and 'open link' etc.

I noticed that there is a 'closed' forum addressing this in here, but seems to deal only with it as a physical mouse failure. That is not the case with this issue. (Or, more to the point, I think I've broken my father's mouse/IE!! Opps!!)

Help anyone?

Cheers
    J-C

PS ... We're running Vista on this machine.

2. gil777t

gil777t

Hi Johnston-Clan,
    I doubt it's the mouse since it works on everything else. IE8 is known to get a little buggy at times. You can try to uninstall/reinstall it. I switched to FireFox several months ago. It has a lot of enhanced features with some very good plugins. Here's a link if you would like to try it.Download Now - Free.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t

3. johnston-chan

johnston-chan Thread Starter

Thanks Gil777t!

You're absolutely right on both counts!

I love Firefox! I use it on my Mac, but this is Dad's computer, and he is more than a little reluctant to change ANYTHING! lol ... so I have been battling to 'fix' this problem ...

AND

You are also right that it is IE that is the problem. I had a friend also helping me on this one, and he suggested that I try an IE master reset...

1) Open Internet Explorer
    2) Click 'Tools', then click 'Internet Options'
    3) Click the 'Advanced' tab.
    4) Under 'Reset Internet Explorer Settings', click 'Reset'.

I did this and it's working like a charm again! I can't believe it took so long (and so much frustration) to sort out something so simple!

Thanks SO much!

Cheers
    J-C

4. gil777t

gil777t

Hi,
    I'm glad you got your dad all squared away. I tried master resets on other issues to no avail. I always had to do a install/uninstall. Hence, I'm a firefox fan. It was nice chatting with you.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!