Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Lenovo G560 Laptop

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TheShooter93 
#1 ·
I had to fix a friends laptop today from the phone because she lives in another city. She has Windows7 and apparently the machine was freezing quite often. Checking her config.sys to find out what was loading at start up I found she had 8 entries with the manufacturer marked as "Unknown". Told her to remove the check mark from them and re boot and it became worst.

Searching on the web I found how to re install Windows7 on a Lenovo G560 from the D:\ drive and we went through the process and all looks fine so far.

But now she has an icon in the taskbar which says "Drive D: has not enough space" and checking the drive I found that out of 30GB space there is only 3MB free space. All files on that drive looks like they are Windows files and she has no private files in there.

Anyone knows why this icon appeared and what I have to do to fix it?

#3 ·
Thanks Cody, what I know the D: drive is used to keep the original OS set up files and is used to restore the computer to its original state. I have a Dell Laptop and my D: drive is for that purpose. What I also know is that each manufacturer provides a utility to make a DVD of the OS files on D: which you can use to restore your system from this DVD (actually is 2-3 DVD's). The wife has an HP Laptop and I did make 3 DVD's from the D: drive using the HP utility and it worked fine when I need it.

To my knowledge, when you use the manufacturer utility to restore the computer to its original state, the process does not take place on the D: drive but rather on the C: and replaces all existing OS files without damaging any personal files. I have done this on my Dell and the wife's HP Laptops. But perhaps Lenovo does it differently and that is why I ask.

When my friend clicks the icon in the taskbar, she gets the info of the D: drive which shows 3MB free space

#4 ·
and replaces all existing OS files without damaging any personal files. I have done this on my Dell and the wife's HP Laptops. But perhaps Lenovo does it differently and that is why I ask.
A System Restore is different from a System Recovery. A System Restore will not erase personal files, but a System Recovery (the purpose of the D drive), will.

Here is an article from HP which provides details on how to get rid of this pop-up, but overall, it's off that you're receiving that message for the D drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.