1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lenovo laptop SSD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adrianr2z, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So I bought a Lenovo U310 and when I started it, I realised that the company had installed the Windows 8 on the HDD rather than the SSD. I'm looking to reinstall the OS on the SSD but I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone help me or is it not even worth doing it? The SSD is a 32GB Msata SSD but I don't know if it's worth it or not.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You plan on installing Windows 8 on a 32gb ssd drive?

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I mean you could do it if you really wanted to. If you plan on installing a lot of programs and such, it does not leave very much space.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They didn't install it incorrectly. The SSD is a cache drive for acceleration.

5. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

what do you mean? Can i still install stuff on the SSD ? Or no?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Damn! I went into disk management and was wondering why the SSD was not available so I deleted the partition and re partitioned it so I can use it .... :/
    However, when I went into services, Intel Rapid Storage Technolodgy was still active.
    What should I do?

Also, every time I turn the computer on , it says "Intel Rapid Start Technology has not been enabled"

I think me messing around screwed a few things up.... Not sure what to do. Leave it as is or try to fix it?

8. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

What should i do? How do I set up the SSD as a cache drive again?

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm assuming that the computer is completely functional, just the caching function of the ssd drive isn't working?

10. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

ya im using it right now. Computer is fully functional. Its just that I deleted the SSD partition and reformatted and now I want to set up the caching thing again. I'm not sure where to start and what to do. Any advice?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the response. However I kept getting errors that it wasn't enabled on my computer and etc so it got me very annoyed. I found out that my computer has expresscache installed and went on lenovo site and reinstalled express cache and it seems to be working now.

I realised a huge speed boost on start up and starts a lot faster and etc, however, i would like to clarify this with you. Is this the same thing as intel rapid storage techonology? The bios still says "IRST status invalid" however my SSD drive is fully taken up and healthy and when I checked it through lenovo, it seems that expresscache is fully working and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I just want to check with you that this is the same thing as if I were to set it up myself and if it really makes a difference. Thanks.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's probably the same thing with a Lenovo twist on it, I'd expect this was the original and optimal setup.

14. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

ya I think so. I mean on lenovo it does not say anywhere how to set up intel rapid storage technology however it does have a FAQ on what happens if expresscache is removed. I mean it works perfectly fine. It's quite faster on boot up times.
    Thanks anyways :)

15. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Make sure to mark your thread solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice