1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lets see if anyone can figure this one out???

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tc3125, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tc3125

tc3125 Thread Starter

OK, I work for an auto dealer and Would like to find a way to fill out a credit application on my computer using word excel whatever. However the problem seems to be that I cant build or copy a form onto word (which would be my preference) and scan an application to the screen,Lock the fields like name address, phone, social security number... then be able to type away the customer info in the fields and just by hitting either tab or enter to jump to the next field. A couple of folks have attempted to help me and we just cant seem to completely figure it out. Is there anyone who knows alot about this out there or knows anyone who does? I could really use there help.

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

Not absolutely sure what you want to do, but will take a shot anyway. You prefer to use Word. OK. Word allows you to create protected forms. Protected forms are Word documents that contain text and FIELDS. When protected, the fields allow you to enter data only in the fields. . . like name, address, SSN, etc. You can create one form (that's what they're called -- Word Forms), call it up each time you need to use it, and save each one to a new name so you have the information for that buyer; the original form remains intact.

If this is what you want to do, let me know and I'll lead you thru creating a protected Word form.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

There are some other options other than Word or Excel which you may like to consider before making a final decision.

1. Access

Even if you have never used Access before it does not matter because there are so many free online tutorials (and Microsoft has some very good ones) that you will be able to learn sufficient to do what you want within a couple of hours. Time well spent.

Access is exceptionally good at Forms. With a little practice you will be able to create a Form that will look totally professional.

And of course the big advantage of Access is that all the data is automatically stored away in the database which means that if Mr Smith comes back next year to buy another car you will have all Mr Smith's details at hand at the click of a mouse button.

2. HTML

Even if you have never programmed before HTML is very easy mainly because there are so many programs that allow you to work in a "Design" view and the program will create all of the underlying HTML for you.

One of the advantages of doing it in HTML is that you could load the page up to a private section of your company website and you would then have it available anywhere at anytime.

(You could of course combine Access and HTML but that would require some serious hours of study!!)

Summary

My personal view is that Word and Excel are not ideal for this type of task. Access is by far the better option but requires working through some tutorials, whereas HTML is not the best option but requires much less effort.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If you don't mind using .PDF format this can easily be done in Adobe Acrobat. Have you looked at the PDF document that was emailed to you in your other thread? Using form fields in MS Word is not an option unless you want to recreate the entire document which will be time consuming.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. tc3125

tc3125 Thread Starter

I did see the pdf and it was closer to what I wanted than anyone else offered I dont mind using pdf or typewriter the only problem was it would not differentiate between different fields do you have any other suggestions?

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

What do you mean that it couldn't differentiate between the two different fields? I'll work on a PDF with text fields that will allow you to tab between.

Regards,
    Rollin

7. tc3125

tc3125 Thread Starter

Thanks alot

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I've created a PDF document with text fields that will allow you to enter the info and then tab to the next field. The PDF is more than 1.5 mb in size. Click below to download it. BTW...you can only fill in the form and print using Adobe Reader. If you want to save changes made to it you'll need Adobe Writer.

http://download.yousendit.com/A1EED30D66A99D3F

Regards,
    Rollin

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice