1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lexmark all-in-one mystery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pawz, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pawz

pawz Thread Starter

hello folks, newbie here, pleased to meetcha.

I have here a Lexmark X1150 all-in-one printer,scanner,copier,make the tea type machine. Its owner( running XP) told me that it went wrong after she put new cartridges in.
    A couple of test pages confirmed that summat was indeed wrong as the lines were all squashed together on one test and hardly anything appeared on the next try.
    We brought it home, I downloaded the latest XP drivers and gave it another go.
    The results were even worse for the text,faint print, missing lines - awful, though colour printing came out fine.

After defluffing the rollers inside and putting in new cartridges, we gave it another go, and it behaved perfectly.
    We printed text, colour, photocopied - everything was as it should be, so we took it back to the client.
    When we connected it all up to the owners machine and ran a test - total rubbish again.

Hmm, we said, corrupted drivers.

We went back today with new drivers, reinstalled them, tried a test page, still rubbish, but colour pic ok.

What is going on we wondered, and brought it home again.

Tried a print test - rubbish, tried the old black cartridge, still rubbish, put the new black cartridge in again, and once more it is behaving perfectly.

We are mystified; where do we go from here? Has anyone else had a similar experience or can suggest the possible problem area :confused:

many thanks

pawz.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Her cable?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Call Lexmark. Theres a key combination on most units that can be pressed to reset the units back to factory defualts. Some Lexmarks have it, some don't. It's not listed in any manual though and I only learned about in from Lexmark. They also don't recommend plugging it into a surge bar for some reason.

Oh, and check the contacts; the one's between the cartridge and printer. These commonly get dirty and have ink spilled on them. And see how the cartridges sit in the holder, if they are loose then that might account for the problems.

4. pawz

pawz Thread Starter

thank you Triple6.
    Do Lexmark have a contact number in UK I wonder? I will check that out, thanks for the reset info too. I will remember that for future even if not relevant now.
    I will look at the contacts again, we think the cartridges are properly seated however.
    Help appreciated

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. pawz

pawz Thread Starter

we have settled for a workaround in that I have set the print quality to Better. We think the data speed was too fast for the printing in some way - don't know why, but the slower rate of 'Better' produces normal pages, so we are going to go with that.
    Thanks for your help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!