1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lexmark Printer install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysi, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

I have been asked to install a printer (LexmarkZ12) but have had all sorts of problems. Someone has deleted an Epson 640 (rather than uninstalled) on the system (a PII 400 with 256 MB RAM running Win 98).

When I install the printer with the drivers from the Lexmark page it puts a folder of icons on the screen, one of which allows a successful test page print. Then trying a test page print from the Printers folder prodeuces the message that it cannot find the Lexmark printer.

I have tried uninstalling the port (which was called an Epson Printer Port) and reinstalling the drivers, but no luck.

The system consistently comes up with an error message on startup that it cannot update the Epson driver because it cannot find a dll file.

I then ran out of time. What is the next step - reinstall the Epson and uninstall correctly the reinstall the Lexmark??

Any other ideas???

2. Dan O

Dan O

Without the Epson printer I don't think you will be able to reinstall the driver. I suggest you try to delete every reference to it, in Printers and Device Manager. Next run RegClean, it comes on the Windows 98 CD or you can download it from Microsoft. Once you stopped the Startup error then install the Lexmark printer.

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:p Go to Start/Run. Type msconfig. OK. Click on the win.ini tab. Scroll down until you "Printer Ports". Click on the + to expand it. Uncheck any reference to Epson if it is listed. Next sroll on down or up and look for any other reference to Epson (probably one that says something like Epson xxx Printer LPT1). Uncheck anything found. Close the config. utility and go back to Start/Run. Type regedit. OK. Navigate to : Hkey_Local_Machine/Config/001/System/Current Control Set/Control/Print/Printers Click on Epson, click on Edit and choose delete. Exit out of regedit ,close windows and shut down the computer. You should now be able to install the Lexmark printer by:
    1) Connect printer cable to computer and printer.
    2) Connect power cable to printer, plug it in receptacle and turn on the printer.
    3) Install the printer cartridge.
    4)Boot up the computer.
    5) When the add new hardware wizard screen comes up, CLICK CANCEL.
    6)Insert the Lexmark CD
    7) Choose "Install Printer Software" and follow the remaining instructions.

Hope this helps.

4. peddars

peddars

I've tried many times to install my lexmark printer on Win2K and have failed every time - by cancelling the hardware found dialogue boxes then running the install program - this program from the disk that lexmark supplied just runs and copies the drivers across but then nothing else seems to be installed on the pc so cannot print etc
    Something must be stopping the rest of the software from copying from disk but I cannot work out what it is - I've tried disabling antivirus etc but still nothing gets installed correctly - any help would be greatly appreciated :cool:

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    peddars, It is not polite to hijack someone elses thread. And it can be sometimes confusing to try to help when we are dealing with two sets of systems and two separate sets of symptoms. Please start your own thread so that we can help you there.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    tonysi, Once you get into windows click the open menu, then click the run menu. Type in "msconfig" (Without the quotes) and press enter. Go to the start up tab and uncheck anything that relates to the epson printer. Click apply then exit. Restart the computer and the Cannot find dll message should be gone. Did you follow the installation instructions that came with the Lexmark Printer? Specifically the part about not connecting the printer to the computer untill being instructed to by the software installation? This will cause problems with most Lemark Printer installations.

7. anton37

anton37

8. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Thank you people - job done!:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice