1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Life of computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biddlesby, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

I want to extend the life of my computer as much as possible, of course. Along this line of thinking, what can I do to limit the stress on my CPU? I.e. when not using it should I turn it off, put it in standby/hibernate, or leave it on? I assume there is stress on the cpu during turn off and turn on times, as well as during normal operation.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The cpu will last many more years than you want to keep it. As to the rest of the components, [hd, video card, ram, etc] it really is up to you. I have one system that is turned off at night and another that is on 24/7; there is no difference in hardware life between the two.

I am sure you will get many opinions, however it really is up to you. I doubt that you will "extend" the life of the system by turning it off when not in use.

3. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Keep it COOL and CLEAN ..

Good Luck

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The number one way you can keep it running for a decade or so is if you take all the right precautions.
    Have a good PSU and don't overwork it, maybe get a UPS.
    Run all the Windows utities, like Defrag and Disk check.
    Don't overclock anything.
    Watch out for Spyware, virus' , a dirty re-install of an OS gives a bad performance.
    When you turn the PC off, restart or shut down, that button on your PC case should be regarded as decoration or a last result.

5. brite750

brite750

I've heard fiber ;)

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The server in my office has run 24/7/365 since 1997, except for downtime once for a bad HD (the only SCSI failure I have EVER had), twice to replace modems, and several times for bad fans (there are a bunch of those).

It is a dual P-II 266 MHz (top, top shelf when I built it) on a UPS (that now must have bad batteries) and has a high quality power supply and SCSI hard drives.

My secret? Keep it clean. Keep it cool. Keep the power line protected. And just keep on truckin'.

7. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

keep all of the internal components clean and keep the CPU temperature under 55°C

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice