1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lightweight media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Deletedmember704299, Dec 4, 2011.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deletedmember704299

Deletedmember704299 Guest Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, x64 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2430 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 473564 MB, Free - 151068 MB; D: Total - 3223 MB, Free - 0 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc, 0HY175
    Antivirus: avast! free

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a very lightweight media player with an itunes/songbird like interface, but with support for the majority of video codecs, like VLC has.

My problem with itunes: very slow, and very limited when it comes to video codecs
    My problem with songbird: faster than itunes, but video codec support is even more limited than itunes
    my problem with VLC: has support for virtually every codec you could ever need support for, but its media library leaves a lot to be desired.

I need a media player with a songbird like interface, with a media library, but with support for a wider range of video codecs and containers.

support for .srt .sub or .idx subtitles would be nice too

thanks in advance guys

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
  2. Elvandil

Elvandil

As far as interface, WMP looks a lot like it.

GOM Player is pretty universal for codecs, as is Haihaisoft Media Player. Daum Pot Player has a portable version, too. But "lightweight" usually means having fewer functions or options. The smallest full-codec player is probably Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It will play Real and Quicktime files, too.

You can analyze your system and find out what codecs you need rather than downloading a possibly dangerous or useless package of them. You can also analyze a file to find out what codec it needs if it won't play.

Tools For Analyzing System and Media Codecs:

GSpot Information Appliance (video codec identification utility)

CodecInstaller (System codec and media analyzer and installer)

InstalledCodec (Shows all codecs, enable/disable)

VideoInspector (codec and media analysis)

MediaInfoGUI (Shows format/codecs/properties of audio and video files)

Sherlock (checks audio and video files, codecs versions, broken codecs, etc.)

AVIcodec (media analyzer)

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I really like the GOM Player. I find it very light but full of features! (y)

4. Phantom010

So, have you made your choice?

If you're trying GOM, the only minor drawback with it is that it won't associate with the MP3 format, or any other audio format. Why, I have no idea! Maybe because it's mainly a video player? The files will open with WMP or another default player. You can however run MP3's with GOM but you'll need to click Open With > Choose Program, and put a check mark for it to be remembered. As for video, no problem. I like the way it associates a different icon for each file type, so the format is easily recognizable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
  5. Elvandil

Elvandil

For mp3's, there is STP Player, too. It is very small and sits in the tray.

Actually, I had no problem associating mp3's with GOM. They will have a GOM icon and display a musical note when playing an mp3. It will depend somewhat on the codecs installed in your machine, but it should work if you want to play music.

6. Phantom010

It does work for music, no problem. However, I have never seen the GOM musical note icon you are referring to. Inside GOM, there are no settings for MP3, at least none that I have found.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice