1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Limit to reusing CDs and 'floppys' ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redoak, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

How many times can you 'delete' files from a 'floppy' or CD and then proceed to write new files to them before the disk becomes unreliable? Thanks. {redoak}

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no "set" number, but in general, I think after 75-100 uses, floppies tend to get a bit flaky. Some folks say that CD-RW media tends to die after a few uses, I truthfully haven't used mine enough to be sure if that's correct.

Understanding CD-R & CD-RW Media Longevity

4. redoak

Thanks to you both for the response. {redoak}

5. obvious

obvious

christ, ive got some floppies ive had for nearly 3 years and used a LOT. and my dad had them for a few years too. again, used a hell of a lot. run like a charm they do.

6. golddust

golddust

As far as floppies go a lot has to do with how they are treated. I worked in a college computer lab with students who had to save all their work to floppies. Some of those disks really got thrown around and others, kept in boxes designed to store them seemed to last longer. The biggest problem was the casing splitting (usually the students who treated them as if they were made of iron had this problem). Leaving them in extremes of temperatures (like in the car in summer) will bring them to an early demise also.

7. obvious

obvious

another thing that hits those floppys is microwave radiation of any sort. Just put a floppy full of data on top of a microwave oven thats working for a few minutes and see what happens. one unreadable floppy disk (or any type of disk for that matter) coming right up!

and would sir like that with crushed ram sticks or roasted cpu?

lol

8. redoak

Again, many thanks for the responses. I worked 30 years at a college; I can relate to the comments of "golddust." {redoak}

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This is NOT caused by "microwave radiation" though, simply by a huge magnetic field from the oven's power supply transformer erasing the disk.

10. golddust

golddust

Hey, you from Schenectady? We almost moved up there about 30 years ago. Hubby put in for a transfer from his P.O. to the Schenectady P.O. but then the Watervleigh Arsenal had a major layoff and had to take those workers first. We were living down on Long Island at the time.

11. redoak

"g": Small world. I am originally from Valley Stream, LI. First came to Sch'dy in 1947 for college. Returned in 1954 after stint in the army. Moved out of the city in 1965 to my place here in West Glenville. {redoak}

12. golddust

golddust

Lived in VS when we first got married (area behind the Porterhouse Restaurant located on corner of Central and Merrick) - from 67 to 71. Moved out to Selden, LI then.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice