Solved: Limit to reusing CDs and 'floppys' ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redoak

Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
6,781
How many times can you 'delete' files from a 'floppy' or CD and then proceed to write new files to them before the disk becomes unreliable? Thanks. {redoak}
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,425
There is no "set" number, but in general, I think after 75-100 uses, floppies tend to get a bit flaky. Some folks say that CD-RW media tends to die after a few uses, I truthfully haven't used mine enough to be sure if that's correct.

Understanding CD-R & CD-RW Media Longevity
 

redoak

Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
6,781
Thanks to you both for the response. {redoak}
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
355
christ, ive got some floppies ive had for nearly 3 years and used a LOT. and my dad had them for a few years too. again, used a hell of a lot. run like a charm they do.
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
2,241
redoak said:
How many times can you 'delete' files from a 'floppy' or CD and then proceed to write new files to them before the disk becomes unreliable? Thanks. {redoak}
As far as floppies go a lot has to do with how they are treated. I worked in a college computer lab with students who had to save all their work to floppies. Some of those disks really got thrown around and others, kept in boxes designed to store them seemed to last longer. The biggest problem was the casing splitting (usually the students who treated them as if they were made of iron had this problem). Leaving them in extremes of temperatures (like in the car in summer) will bring them to an early demise also.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
355
another thing that hits those floppys is microwave radiation of any sort. Just put a floppy full of data on top of a microwave oven thats working for a few minutes and see what happens. one unreadable floppy disk (or any type of disk for that matter) coming right up!

and would sir like that with crushed ram sticks or roasted cpu?

lol
 

redoak

Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
6,781
Again, many thanks for the responses. I worked 30 years at a college; I can relate to the comments of "golddust." {redoak}
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2003
Messages
17,584
obvious said:
another thing that hits those floppys is microwave radiation of any sort. Just put a floppy full of data on top of a microwave oven thats working for a few minutes and see what happens. one unreadable floppy disk (or any type of disk for that matter) coming right up!

and would sir like that with crushed ram sticks or roasted cpu?

lol
This is NOT caused by "microwave radiation" though, simply by a huge magnetic field from the oven's power supply transformer erasing the disk.
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
2,241
redoak said:
Again, many thanks for the responses. I worked 30 years at a college; I can relate to the comments of "golddust." {redoak}
Hey, you from Schenectady? We almost moved up there about 30 years ago. Hubby put in for a transfer from his P.O. to the Schenectady P.O. but then the Watervleigh Arsenal had a major layoff and had to take those workers first. We were living down on Long Island at the time.
 

redoak

Thread Starter
Gone but never forgotten
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
6,781
"g": Small world. I am originally from Valley Stream, LI. First came to Sch'dy in 1947 for college. Returned in 1954 after stint in the army. Moved out of the city in 1965 to my place here in West Glenville. {redoak}
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
2,241
redoak said:
"g": Small world. I am originally from Valley Stream, LI. First came to Sch'dy in 1947 for college. Returned in 1954 after stint in the army. Moved out of the city in 1965 to my place here in West Glenville. {redoak}
Lived in VS when we first got married (area behind the Porterhouse Restaurant located on corner of Central and Merrick) - from 67 to 71. Moved out to Selden, LI then.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

Top