1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Limited connectivity/can't obtain ip address

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lonewolf74, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonewolf74

lonewolf74 Thread Starter

Hi I have an asus republic of gamers g75vw laptop and it will connect to the internet but it has limited connectivity and it also says it can't obtain an IP address. The router isn't mine but broadcasts a WEP signal. I connected this laptop to a wap2 and it worked. I don't know what to do - strange thing of it is that it will go to mozell's firefox homepage but after that nothing. :confused: I'm confused as what to do next as it is not my router. Would rebooting the router work?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since you do not own the router do you have the owners permission to use that connection?

3. lonewolf74

I live in a boarding home and I do have permission to connect I just cant change the settings as I don't have permission to do that.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the wireless don't work, maybe you can get permission to run an Ethernet cable to the router.

5. lonewolf74

If it was in the living room I could but they have an office were it is. The office desktop is hardwired to the internet but the residents computer isn't. this router doesn't broadcast the best signal. If I wasn't moving in the fall I'd get them a router booster but why spend my money when I getting out soon? I just promised my old laptop to a friend and would love to give to to them. There has to be a way around this but I don't know what it is.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would take it to a library or some place where you can get a free WiFi and see it still has problems there.
    If NOT, then it is a issue with the router.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the WEP key ascii or HEX?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

8. lonewolf74

I've done that and it will connect there with no issue. Would not be surprised if it's the router.

9. lonewolf74

I typed in Ipconfig /all and this is what I got:

Attached Files:

10. lonewolf74

Look at post above this one @ the thumbnails , that is what came up.

11. triniwiz

triniwiz

try changing your network security settings to open or wpa or wpa2

12. lonewolf74

It's my boarding house router If it was mine I'd do it in a heart beat. But I'm not allowed to play with the settings.

13. triniwiz

triniwiz

well my other option will be to set a static ip

14. gurutech

gurutech

If you can get to the router, or know who can, try changing the authentication method to "automatic". I just fixed a similar issue for a customer of mine by doing this. (It was set for "shared"). It won't affect any of the other devices that connect to the router.

15. lonewolf74

well my other option will be to set a static ip

If you can get to the router, or know who can, try changing the authentication method to "automatic". I just fixed a similar issue for a customer of mine by doing this. (It was set for "shared"). It won't affect any of the other devices that connect to the router.

Well there IS a person whom set up the router that comes once a month and will be coming tomorrow ( Monday) I'll suggest those to him and see what he does. Our resident desktop would be affected by any change so I'll see what he does.

Thanks to all who are helping me though this- wish this was mu own router so I could do this myself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!