1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Limited connectivity/repair problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syztemlord, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syztemlord

syztemlord Thread Starter

This morning when I booted up my PC, I noticed that I had the limited or no connectivity icon in the sys tray. I tried to repair the connection but Windows couldn't renew my IP address. I also tried plugging in a wireless USB adaptor but that had the same problem.

After 5/10 minutes of having the no connectivity icon, the wireless adaptor did connect and I was then able to repair the LAN connection. Now everytime I boot up, I have to wait 10 minutes before I can repair the connection.

Any one know whats happened or how I can fix it?!

2. syztemlord

Just to add, a friend lent me his router to test and I have the same problem with that. I didn't install anything new the night before so I'm lost to what could of happened.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

3. iPαwd

iPαwd

I have the same problem. After doing some research online, I found out it was just a false alert, and you should still be able to connect to the internet.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and using a wired connection, see if it still occurs.

This is not normal, BTW. :)

5. syztemlord

I usually have a wired connection so I'll try the safe mode when I get home.

6. syztemlord

Just tried booting to safe mode, and I'm getting the same problem. It's definitely not a false alert because I can't get online while I have the limited connectivity status.

7. 1stoptek

1stoptek

I would try to connect your computer directly to your modem first to see if the problem is with the router. If it connects fine, I would then perform a power cycle on the modem and router by unplugging the modem and router from the ac power and then plugging in the modem first, wait 30 seconds, plug in the router and wait another 30 seconds and see if you can get on the internet then. If there are still issues, I would also look up the latest firmware for your router and upgrade it to make sure its not a bug in the router.

8. syztemlord

Thanks for the advise but as I said previously, I have tried a different router and I'm getting the same problem with both which makes me believe the problem is with the PC. I have connected directly to my laptop and that works fine with both wired and wireless.

9. JohnWill

Sounds like something running on the machine is causing the issue, or the hardware has an issue. Does this happen after the machine has been on awhile and you just reboot?

10. syztemlord

It happens as soon as I switch on, and if I restart it makes no difference, I still get the problem. But as I said before after about 10 minutes or so, it allows me to repair the connection and everything works fine.

11. JohnWill

That seems to indicate it's something running at startup on the machine, that's my best guess.

12. syztemlord

That was my guess too, I've checked MSCONFIG and there isn't anything suspect in that. Any suggestions on what to check before I kill the machine and reinstall?

13. JohnWill

Well, since it happens in Safe Mode, that eliminates most of the stuff running, so I'm not really sure where to go. If it were here, I'd be trying new cables, a new NIC, and a different router.

14. syztemlord

I've tried everything but a new NIC, I'll do that later and see how it goes!

15. syztemlord

Tried the new NIC and still have the problem. I've ruled out everything now so the root problem has to be with Windows. Think it's going to be a re-install which will be a major headache!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!