Solved: Limited Drive Letters

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bgdrew03

Here is my problem... My computer limits me on the amount of drives I can have. For example; it shows my C: Drive, my External Hard Drive, my DVD Player, my CD Player, and my Thumb Drive; with the all the corresponding Drive letters spread out accordingly. The highest letter it allows is up to F: Anything after that, will not show up.

But here's the catch... The computer sees and recognizes the different Drives, even if it won't show up on "My Computer."

If I add another removable or some other type of Drive; ie. another Thumb Drive, or another Hard Drive, it will not appear unless I unplug something else.

I hope I was clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to help this along...are you using Win/XP or some earlier version of Windows? In older versions you could specify the Drive letter 'range' that was available. In XP you don't have to do that.

what operating system?

look on your boot drive in the root directory for a file config.sys
see if there is a line

lastdrive=f

if so you can change it to a letter coresponding to the
number of drives you want.

depending on your machine and situation that
setting may not be needed anymore so you
may not find it.

Also, did you install TweakUI or FreshUI. Any of those apps have the option to remove drive letter assignments and after 6 months it's easy to forget you made the change.

bgdrew03

Sorry... I meant to specify that I was using Windows XP Pro.

And I have not installed TweakUI or FreshUI.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you on a corporate network? Many times, the local drives are limited by the network drive mappings.

Howdy folks...

bgdrew03...

What does Disk Management show?

Right click My Computer - Properties - Disk Management...

Does it show the drive?

bgdrew03

Yes, Disk Management shows them.

Just downloaded TweakUI, and I was able to solve my problem. I was able to click on all the drives I wanted to be available, and 'viola! It worked!

Thank you all for your help! This has been driving me crazy!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts