Solved: Limited Internet Connectivity (Over adhoc wireless network)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

K-Rad

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is having a problem with her laptop that I have been unable to rectify. Basically I have established an adhoc wireless network from my laptop to hers in order to share my hardwired internet connection.
There has been no problem until yesterday (not sure if this next part is relevant but all information helps, I suppose!) when she uninstalled a program called 'Sogou Explorer', which I think is a Chinese character add-on for IE.
Anyhow, she removed it and now she has very limited connectivity to the internet. She can connect to QQ (A Chinese messenger program) and we can send files on this no problem, however MSN messenger will not connect and she cannot access, or ping in the command prompt, any web pages.

I installed firefox to see if it was a browser based issue, but it doesn't connect either and neither browsers have any proxy or other kind of alternate addressing setup. In the command prompt she can ping herself and myself with swift pongs and no packet loss.
I have also run the WinSockFix utility and tried a DNS flush and some other things.

Put simply I am stumped! Any light you guys could shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

etaf 🎂

Wayne
It's my birthday!
have you tried a recovery to before the program was installed
start>
programs>
accessories>
system tools>
system restore>

also post back an ipconfig /all from your PC and from faulty pc - make sure we know which is which

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
From the non-working machine, please do this.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

K-Rad

JohnWill and etaf, thanks alot guys. I managed to do a system restore which fixed the problem. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I am just ending my holidays and go back to work tomorrow so I've been flat out!

Thanks again!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No problem. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
©
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online