1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Limited or no connectivity (last hope)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drewspader, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewspader

drewspader Thread Starter

Ok so here is my issue, I have a computer that i built from spare parts. For the last year I have had win xp home, pro, win7 installed and never had not one problem. Three days ago I decided to reinstall win xp home w/sp3 and for the last 3 days I have not been able to connect to the internet. I have been to dozens of tech forums and tried numerous fixes. Finally I give up, this is the only forum I am going to post this problem in, If I cant fix it through this forum then I don't know what im going to do.

issue: after installing the correct and up to date drivers for my network adapter, I get a bubble saying I have limited or no connectivity. So I run a repair and the message I get is. windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: renewing ip address. next i went to tcp/ip properties to make sure ip and dns is set to connect automatically, it is. next i went to device manager to make sure the network adapter is ok, it is. I even uninstall and re install, but still nothing. I check the network adapter properties and go to the link speed tab where i can run a diagnostic.
    results:
    cannot run the connection test
    this adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically but no DHCP server is present on the network. Windows selected an IP address using alternate private IP addressing.
    NO SERVERS CONFIGURED
    this test relies on a response from a gateway, DNS, DHCP or WINS server. If none of these are present on your network, the test cannot be run.

I belive this may be the issue, but i do not know how to fix it.
    also, i just noticed that my PCI device and serial port is not functioning, can that be the issue?

Thank you very much for your support.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Some details of what you are actually connecting to ?
    - Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
    - Make and Exact model of Router, Modem or router/modem combination
    - Make and Exact model of all PCs and Laptops
    - How are the PCs / Laptops connected - full details - cable, wireless
    - What windows version or other OS are running on each laptop Xp, Vista, 7, ubuntu etc
    - Are there any other machines working - if so please provide details
    - Do you have a Firewall - if so it may be blocking access - what firewall / security program do you have ?
    - If using wireless, do you have Encryption - if so, Remove any wireless encryption from the router, and try to connect - post back results
    - If using wireless encryption, try deleting the wireless profiles - post back results
    - Post back the status of all the modem and/or router lights - are they correct ?
    - Try booting into safe mode with networking, to do that tap F8 as the PC boots and choose from menu - post back the results here

Is it working in the other windows version - I assume you are dual booting the PC
    Do you have a firewall ? if so disable
    post back the following for XP and then repeat for windows 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    {Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. drewspader

- Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider) Time Warner
    - Make and Exact model of Router, Modem or router/modem combination. I use cable to get my connection. The cable runs into a modem called Scientific Atlanta then connects to a Linksys Wireless G broadband Router Model wrt54g. From there the router is connected to 2 desktop computers a Dell and MPC. The dell is working fine the MPC isn’t connecting.
    - Make and Exact model of all PCs and Laptops
    Working computer: DELL dimension 8400, connected via cable, using windows xp home/ sp3, using avg antivirus, using zonealarm firewall
    NoN working: MPC clientpro 585 everything original except graphics card and power unit. Connected via cable Using windows xp pro/ sp2 no firewall or antivirus installed, windows firewall off.
    - How are the PCs / Laptops connected - full details - cable, wireless cable

- Do you have a firewall - if so it may be blocking access - what firewall / security program do you have ? there is no firewall installed on the computer that is not connecting.
    - If using wireless, do you have Encryption - if so, Remove any wireless encryption from the router, and try to connect - post back results no wireless
    - If using wireless encryption, try deleting the wireless profiles - post back results
    - Post back the status of all the modem and/or router lights - are they correct ?
    - Try booting into safe mode with networking, to do that tap F8 as the PC boots and choose from menu - post back the results here still could not connect in safe mode. I did boot in safemode with networking, I still could not connect.

Is it working in the other windows version - I assume you are dual booting the PC
    Do you have a firewall ? None installed
    post back the following for XP and then repeat for windows 7
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : monkeypaw
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connect
    ion
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping google.com
    Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 209.183.226.152

Pinging 209.183.226.152 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 209.183.226.152:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

4. drewspader

i gave up and reinstalled windows7, all works fine now.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for all the answers , clearly a problem with the wireless adaptor as the Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00 and also the ip was 169.254.0.0 which means it cannot find a Dhcp service - although i have not seen 0.0 at the end before ......

BUT you have it all working now on windows 7 - would you mark the thread solved - button at the top of your first post please

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice