1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: limited or no connectivity??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by schugeorge, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schugeorge

schugeorge Thread Starter

I am trying to access the internet and keep getting message "limited or no connectivity" when I put cursor over the monitor icon in system tray.. I right click and click repair, system goes through its steps hhowever when it gets to the ""renewing your IP address" step I get a pop up window sayiing "windows could not finishe repairing the problem because the folling actions cannot be completed: "renewing IP address".... and the monitor icon has a red x over it. when I try to get on line it says "server not found" firefox cannot find server at www.yahoo.com..I've tried different browsers with different home pages etc and get similar messages..I've tried repairing in safe mode. I've unintalled and re installed modem and network adapter, updating drivers........arrrgghhhh!!!! please help!!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

P.S. Please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max.). Your stuff could go into your Computer specs.

3. schugeorge

the computer i am using is not the one i'm having a problem with, if that matters. like the ethernet connection settings are different the ethernet NIC/physical address is different as is network connection #s. I can provide you with the info you need but I cant copy and paste it from my laptop to this pc..just let me know what info you need and i'll get it to you a.s.a.p...thanx

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I took care of your signature, and the rest of the first info I want is in my previous post. :) A USB flash drive, even the smallest and cheapest, is a very handy tool and they are pretty inexpensive. Consider investing in one. Side question--what do you use for data backups?

5. schugeorge

here's the info I got from ipconfig. info in parenthesis indicates that there is no info on that line. if you need anthing else let me know.

windows xp (version 5.1.2600)
    local area connection: realtek L8139/810x family ethernet
    atheros ar5005g network adapter
    netgear wireless-G router WGR614 v9

windows IP config:
    host name: acer 1424f82198
    primary Dns suffix: (nothing there)
    node type:unknown
    WINS proxy enabled:no
    IP routing enabled: no

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

media state: disconnected
    discription:realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet
    ethernet NIC physical address: 00-16-36-89-6c-f5

ethernet adapter wireless network connection:

connection specific DNS suffix: (nothing there)
    description: atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter
    physical addresss: 00-16-cf-73-a8-76
    Dhcp enabled: yes
    autoconfig enabled:yes
    autoconfig IP address" 169.254.90.225
    subnet mask:255.255.0.0
    default gateway: (nothing there)

c:\documents and settings\kathy>

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you successfully connect by ethernet?

Can you successfully connect with encryption disabled on the router?

What utility are you using to manage the wireless connection?

7. Calltek_Tina

Calltek_Tina

DHCP server might have failed. Assigning static can help to test if you can get on. Network administrator should be informed, wireless router & server might need to be rebooted.

8. schugeorge

what exactly is dhcp? also, i've tried unplugging for about 30 seconds both the router and modem and done a factory reset using th tiny recessed button, with no luck.. I am going to try a new ethernet cable to see if i can get on via hard wired set up.how do you connect with encryption disabled on router and how do i know what utility i' m using to manage wireless connection? i know i'm using control panel- nework internet connection- network connection. as you can tell i'm not exactly an advanced user. hope i'm not too much a pain.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol; the way an ISP or a router can automatically assign IP addresses and other network info to a computer so we needn't assign it ourselves.

Login to the router and set the encryption (or security) mode to None or Off or Disabled. A reset to factory defaults will do the same.

It sounds like you are using XP's utility, called Wireless Zero Configuration. Other possibilities include one named for the laptop (e.g., Dell WLAN) or one named for the wireless adapter (e.g., Intel Proset). Often any that is or are running will have an icon in the Notification Area.

11. schugeorge

tried connecting directly to the modem, no luck..still....I am using zone alarm firewall, i tried disabling it and using windows firewall, no luck. turned off all firewalls still no luck..I will try john and terry's suggestions next and get bakc to ya

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remember, you must power cycle the modem whenever you change the attached device.

13. schugeorge

well, i feel really stupid, the problem the whole time was..............hold on to your chair or sit down if standing so as not to fall over laughing.....ya know the little switch on many laptops that controls the internet connection??? well, that switch was in the off position the whole time!!!! what a knucklehead.....go ahead, let me have it..i deserve it!! anyway, thankyou to everyone who took the time to help out, i really appreciate it..I thought about lying and tell ya'll that the problem was resolved and saying thanx but my conscious wouldn't let me do it besides i figured you all could use a good laugh..

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

You know......I've been following this thread and thought of that, then thought, nah, the last time I suggested it...........
    :D

You can mark the thread solved above.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, I don't. If you are referring to the wireless switch it only switches the integrated wireless (and bluetooth). It does not switch the ethernet or any external adapters.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice