1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lineing Up Numbers in Right Margin of Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thankful, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Dear Friends,
    Maybe someone can help me. I am completing the defense copy of my dissertation and everything has to be technically perfect. One problem that I can't figure out is this: when I do my table of contents and have a format something like this:

Blah Blah...............................34
    More Blah Blah.......................46
    Some more............................66

the numbers in the right margin don't line up exactly under each other. Each number goes right up to the right margin, but when you go down the list of numbers, they are not perfectly under each other - they are a little off to the left or right. The sample provided for me in my doctoral guide shows them perfectly lined up. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

By the way I am using Word 2003

Thankful

2. simsboy27

simsboy27

Hello,

You should be able to do something like this...
    Insert > References > Indexes and Tables > Table of Contents

Or you could do this...
    Set a RIGHT TAB at the right edge of the Table of Contents then type the Chapter Title at the left, press the TAB key and then type the page number. Then you can add the periods in between. You can make a Right Tab by right clicking where you want it on the ruler at the top of the page.

Have a Nice Day!

3. Abe999

Abe999

Just an addendum to simsboy27's suggestion. You can sent up a right tab with leaders, which creates the dots for you. Save a little typing.

4. simsboy27

simsboy27

Yes thats true, didn't even think of that. Good suggestion!

5. simsboy27

simsboy27

If you don't have any more questions please mark this thread as solved. (Right of the Reply button)

6. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Simsboy27 and Abe999. I wish I could say I had success, but I did not. I have not replied because I have been trying since yesterday to get these suggestions to work. Using "insert, references, etc." doesn't work because it does not have any formats that are compatible to my school requirements. The right tab didn't work simply because I could not figure out how to make a right tab. I tried what was suggested but simply, nothing happened. If you have any other thoughts, I am certainly open to them. The right tab makes the most sense, but I am sure I am missing something.

Thankful

7. simsboy27

simsboy27

8. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Thank you both. I was able to get the table of contents done with proper right margins and just submitted it with the rest of the dissertation.

I appreciate your time and help very much!

Sincerely, Thankful

9. simsboy27

simsboy27

Your Very Welcome! I Hope your project went well! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice