1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linking Excel files with hyperlinks

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by elay, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elay

elay Thread Starter

I am doing some work for my husbands work (he taking all the credit) and they have requested that one Excell file be linked to another, which I have done quite easily using hyperlinks.

He has been asked if it is possible to link to a particular worksheet (tab) within that file and then a particular cell. Ive looked at Microsoft help which is pointing in the direction of "Function" which is confusing me, ive tried but cant get it to work, is there an easier way.

thanks

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I "think" this is what you want ...

Select the cell within the tab within the file that you wish to link to. Then COPY.

Then, in the cell you wish to link, select it, right mouse, paste special, Paste Link Button.

3. elay

elay Thread Starter

Thank you ill try that :)

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Re: husband taking all the credit -- yeah, that'll happen. :D

(Please note: the following applies to Excel 2K, things may be different in 03)

Since I've never tried this, I had a bash. The first step is easy -- Insert > Hyperlink (or CTRL+K) to launch the "Insert HyperLink" dialog.

Under "Link to:", "Existing File or Web Page" must be selected since that "drives" the other options.

As long as "Existing File or Web Page" is selected, you should have a "Browse for file" button. Following that is fairly straightforward, you should end up with something like C:\test.xls under "Type file or web page name". Then you need to click the "Bookmark" button.

That gives you the "Select place in document" dialog. You can either type in the specific location within the file to link to, or do the navigation thing again.

When you click out of the "Select place in document" dialog (with "OK"), your "Type file or web page name" info should be updated to something like C:\test.xls#Sheet1!A1

From there, you just click "OK" to finish off.

HTH -- post back if it doesn't.

EDIT: added a screenshot that may help.

Attached Files:

5. elay

elay Thread Starter

Thats it bomb#21, thank you, its the "Bookmark" button that does the bit that I wanted.

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

To paraphrase BanditFlyer, another of our members, I'm not a Richard -- but you're welcome. ;)

You can use "Thread Tools" near the top of this page to mark the thread as solved if you wish. Enjoy. :)

7. elay

elay Thread Starter

sorry i looked at the last line, just realized its a quote. LOL

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!