Solved: Links not working in OE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lola2001

My brother in law called me today with this problem. He said that none of the links in OE are working any more. People send him URLs in email and clicking on them does nothing.

I told him to go to Add/Remove programs and repair IE. He went there and said it wasn't on the list!!

Then I remembered a few weeks ago he said his IE icon on the desktop wasn't working so I told him to go into My Computer and locate the IE program and drag a shortcut to the desktop. It worked and all seemed well.

Now he tells me that his email links have not worked since then. He went to windows update but it tells him he doesnt need any updates. I'm not quite sure what to tell him other than to reinstall windows, although I'm sure there is something less drastic.
Thanks.

---------------------------------------
Windows 2000 - SP4
IE6-SP1
OE-SP1.

PS - should have put this in Email I guess, maybe someone can move it?

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab.

Under "Registered file types", select each the following, one at a time, then the "Advanced" button:

URL: Gopher Protocol
URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol
URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Select "Open" under Actions, Edit button

In the "Editing for action type" window, edit each respective section to display as follows, including quotes & other marks:

Application used to perform action: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Use DDE: checked

DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,

Application: IExplore

DDE Application Not Running: null (leave blank)

Topic: WWW_OpenURL

OK. OK. Apply (if not greyed out). Close. Exit.

Then:

Go to Start, Run, and type each of these (with OK after each, of course):

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

If that doesn't do it, try copying msoe.dll from the Outlook Express folder to the system32 folder, then Run:

regsvr32 msoe.dll

Hi Lola

Here is my list for that problem....

A) Start with the easiest and see if it works:
IE->Tools->Internet Options->Programs Tab.
Click Reset web settings button.

B) Temporarily disable anti-virus/firewall/popup blockers and toolbars. Including Yahoo! Companion, if you have that. Also Ad Watch from Ad Aware. If that solves the problem, isolate which program is causing it and change settings within that program.

C) One or more of the following DLLs might be improperly registered.

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

5. Repeat, substituting each of these additional DLLs:
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

D) If that doesn't work:
For Windows version (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) - Download iefix:
http://www.winxptutor.com/download/iefix.zip

It is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files. Additionally if it detects Windows 2000/XP as the Operating System, it runs SFC to restore missing or corrupt Windows system files. Read about it here before using:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Requires Microsoft VB6 runtimes for Windows 98/ME systems, download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7A9C-43E7-9117-F673077FFB3C&displaylang=en

E) Start->Settings-> Folder Options->File types Tab
Locate each of the 4 file types listed below. Click Edit and click the Set Default button.

Also verify that each command line is correct:

URL:File Transfer Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

URL:Gopher Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

If you made corrections to File Types, check to see if there is any difference.

If you still have the problem - also in those File Types, Use DDE may be checked. Try Unchecking it to see if that makes your links work.

F) System Restore. For ME or XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

G) mcrepair. Free from Microsoft. For Win 98 or ME.
Download mcrepair and place it in a folder. Open Windows Explorer and click it to run it. Answer yes to all questions and let it repair the files.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/patch/1.0/win98/en-us/mcrepair.exe

sekirt

lola2001

Thanks you guys! I'll forward the info to him and let you know if it worked!

Happy Boxing Day!!

lola2001

Ok, I had to end up coming over because he wasn't sure he could do it. So I'm there now.

Nothing worked until I ran IEFIX. It works now but is REALLY slow. Email opens slow, IE opens slow. Other apps seem to open ok though.

Here is a HIJack This Log;

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:38:45 PM, on 12/26/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 SP2 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1124502474364
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe

Hi Lola

There are people here better qualified than I for HJT Logs. But I don't see any bad guys.

A 2nd opinion would be good.

sekirt

lola2001

That is what I thought too. So after some fooling around and looking on the net I finally went into Add/Remove Windows Components and readded IE and OE and now it seems to be fine.

Whew! Good thing I live around the corner!

Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online