1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linksys Compact Wireless G USB adapter problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by absolutezero1287, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. absolutezero1287

absolutezero1287 Thread Starter

The model # for it is WUSB54GC and my internet connection keeps dropping. It stays on for a few hours but after that it goes and on and off. What I usually do is unplug it and plug it back and that works but having to repeat that process is really frustrating.

One thing that I have noticed is that it gets warm from long periods of use. However it should be able to withstand that.

I don't know if I should buy an actual wireless card maybe it's better.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does your machine go into standby? That will frequently disconnect your wireless connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I don't know if I should buy an actual wireless card maybe it's better."

Only about 90% of the time. :)

"that it goes and on and off"

Do you mean that it loses power, cools slightly, regains power, heats up, loses power, etc.? If so, be glad you get a few hours. I had one that, on one PC, would begin that cycle within a few minutes.

All wireless adapters run warmer than almost all other components. The USB adapters' power draw is equal to the max. for a USB port so there is little room for error.

5. absolutezero1287

6. SdeWndr

SdeWndr

I assume this is a laptop?

Try going to device manager and telling Windows to NOT manage power on the USB hub.

First unplug the device from your computer.

Right click My computer
    Manage
    Device Manager
    At the bottom, right click each of the USB hubs and choose properties
    Power Management
    Uncheck the box that allows your computer to manage power for the device.

Plug your device back in and see how it works.

It's a longshot, but I would try it.

7. absolutezero1287

I'm not on Windows I'm on Ubuntu.

8. JohnWill

Wouldn't it be difficult to plug those PCI adapters into it if it was a laptop? ;)

9. SdeWndr

SdeWndr

Please forgive my ignorance ... The title of the thead was "Linksys Compact Wireless G USB adapter problems".

10. absolutezero1287

And that's what it is. A USB adapter. Meaning that it can be used on anything with a USB port. I'm on a desktop. Sorry for not clarifying.

It's working now. For some reason it just starts to drop off and on throughout the day. Then now i've had a steady connection.

11. JohnWill

The links you asked about showed three PCI adapters, no USB in sight. I think that's where the confusion comes in. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

12. absolutezero1287

Ok this is like the grand clarification right here. sorry if I was unclear.

I'm on a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop running Ubuntu 7.10

My USB adapter needs to be plugged and unplugged to get up and running again. The connection drops often and when it does that's when I need to unplug it and then plug back in. It shouldn't be that way, though. I should have a steady connection all throughout the day.

When I said that it's working now I actually meant that it's working...for the moment. About an hour later the connection dropped.

I posted the links of the three wireless PCI cards because I'm thinking of switching to one and I wanted an opinion on which is best. But if I can just get the USB adapter to give me a steady connection there's no need to waste money. Here's the links to them again.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G55...9032624&sr=8-5
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WMP54G...9032624&sr=8-7
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WMP54G...9032624&sr=8-4

Thanks and sorry for the mixup! :)

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The connection drops often ..."

If it doesn't lose power I can't offer any suggestions because of my unfamiliarity with your OS. If you were running Windows XP the first suspect would be two wireless utilities running--one native to XP and one that comes with the adapter.

14. absolutezero1287

My connection has stabilized now that I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 Beta.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666152