1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linksys EA4500NP N900 router PC visibility problem. help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StoneRyno, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

We switched from uverse to brighthouse internet. On uverse we used the modem+router (2wire) they provided. With brighthouse we went with our own modem and bought the router in the title. For some reason I'm not able to see my shared folder on my PC from my tablet. Where a before it wa visible without me having to do anything other than share the folder. Everything appears to still be configured correctly. I've not touched any settings on the PC or tablet. The only change was from the uverse hardware to the linksys. Any help in fixing this would be greatly appreciated. At least until I go for a network drive. A this router has a USB 2 port for that. Not something I plan to do in the near future. Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that the tablet is connected via Wi-Fi. Does the router have an "isolation" feature that is preventing the tablet from accessing the computer, especially if it is connected by ethernet?

On the PC have you disabled and then re-enabled file sharing now that you are on a different network and having issues?

3. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Ah I forgot to mention that the PC is connected via wire LAN port 1 and the tablet via wifi. As far as "isolation" feature I have no idea what you mean by that. It is something I have never heard of. I don't recall seeing that word in any of the settings when I was looking at all it can do. For the most part everything is out of the box default settings except I added the two roku boxes to media prioritization and made the SSIDs not broadcast.

4. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I have discovered the cause of this. But I'm not sure how to fix it. The firewall on my PC Ive been using for as long as I have had both is causing the problem. When I disable the firewall on the PC my tablet can access the shared folders. I'm guessing I need to create a rule for the adapter to allow traffic from my netbooks IP and or MAC address?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you enable file sharing the Windows firewall will be automatically properly configured. Any other firewall must (almost always) be properly configured for the desired access.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice