1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Linksys router won't open ports

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Igknight, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Igknight

Igknight Thread Starter

Hi I've been having this problem for quite a long time and I've done everything under the sun that I can think of. Right so here's the situation.
    For over a year now I've been trying to open ports on my Linksys WRT54GS and it just won't have it. I have a Static Ip, and when I remove the router from the equation I can get access through the port so I know its not my ISP blocking the ports.

I've set up port forwarding on a different router and its worked fine so that pretty much eliminates the possibility that I'm doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of is I have a faulty router, I hope its not the case but I'm at the end of my rope and I want to get this fixed.

Windows Xp Professional x64
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Evga 790I Ultra
    Geforce 8800GT x2
    4GB 1333 @ 1066

Linksys WRT54GS Firmware V1.52.5

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Igknight

Igknight Thread Starter

Yep 4 or 5 times. As I said, I've set it up on 2 other routers doing the exact same things and they've worked fine, so the chance that what I'm doing is wrong are pretty slim. I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of routers just not opening ports. In fact I've even tried to enable the DMZ and still I couldn't get access through the ports so. That's why I think its my router but I don't know enough about routers to be sure.

4. JohnWill

Did you upgrade to the latest firmware, then reset to defaults, and finally configure? If you've done all that, I can't imagine what more you can do.

5. Igknight

Igknight Thread Starter

Yeah done all that as well. My router just doesn't open ports... I'm so confused as to why. Last night I installed a 3rd party firmware works great but still won't open ports. So yeah going to buy a new router.

6. JohnWill

That makes no sense to me. If the router can communicate on the Internet, and you've totally replaced the firmware, it's simply not possible that it "can't forward ports"!

I'll bet your "modem" is really a modem/router, what's the EXACT make/model of that modem?

7. Igknight

Igknight Thread Starter

I doubt that its my modem, I've hooked my computer directly to the modem and I get get access through all ports. But the modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100.

8. JohnWill

You got me, but I'm guessing you may still have a problem with the new router. :)

9. Igknight

Igknight Thread Starter

Yeah I haven't bought it yet I'ma going try one of my old routers to see if it will port forward.

10. LazerDino

LazerDino

I see this is marked solved, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I have been having the same issues on my network. Specifically trying to get my FTP server to work. I went through everything above, plus a new modem and router to no avail. Through all of this port 21 & 28 (trying different ports) showed closed using several different scanners. Both ports are forwarded on my WRT54gs to my server machine Finally this morning, I installed a different ftp server, set it all up and walla! Port 21 now shows open and works perfectly.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice