Solved: Linksys WCG 200, Win XP, etc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eneedshelp

What I have:
A Linksys WCG-200 wireless-g cable gateway
A PC running XP, with a nonworking optical drive
A perfectly functioning cable modem
and...
2 computers without access to yonder cable modem

What I *want* to do sounds pretty simple, but it seems to be beyond my abilities right now.

I want to plug the cable modem into the Linksys WCG-200 and split the cable internet connection between 3 computers total.

Originally, I purchased the Linksys WCG-200 to replace my cable modem, but it is not DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. The box in which it was shipped was dented during the shipping process, and the vendor's return policy says that such superficial packaging damage results in no refund. Boo-hoo. Time to make lemonade.

So, I want to use the Linksys WCG-200 as a router only, plugged into my cable modem. Problem #1 is that the DVD drive on the computer next to the cable modem is dead, which prevents me from using the install CD/DVD that came in the box. I even tried an external USB 2.0 optical burner to no avail. What I downloaded from Versiontracker (CNET wanted me to d/l some kind of registry cleaner.) offers no explanation at all....

The description on VT claimed compatibility with XP. The unzipped folder is named, 'Linksys WCG200v2 Vista Drivers' and contains a series of *.sys files, a couple of uninstall *.exe files, useless .cat, .inf, .xml files, and a 'release notes' .doc file that also tells me nothing. There is no step-by-step guide. Googling about the WCG-200 has only brought up pages listing complaints that it drops wireless signals. I feel afraid that I got hosed on this deal, financially speaking.

To reiterate, all I *want* to do is plug the DOCSIS 2.0 compliant cable modem into the WCG-200 and plug a couple more computers (via ethernet cables) into the router, and MAYBE create a wireless network to help out my upstairs neighbor.

My guess is that I need to download something different than what I found on VT. Beyond that, I feel mostly lost.

Does anyone have some advice? I am about to search the Linksys/Cisco website for a hopefully superior driver.

- E

*** QUICK UPDATE ***
I found the correct driver on the Linksys/Cisco website. Time to disconnect the modem for a bit and see if I can get this running on my own. Either way, I will report back, later, with further news.

eneedshelp

just live chatted with their tech support, and the wcg200 cannot be used as a router WITHOUT also being used as a modem. it has to do both, they insisted.

i have no idea why, and they offered no explanation, and i have a $50 paperweight.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's not really a "piece of crap", it sounds like it functions exactly to it's specifications. You need to know what you're buying before ordering.

As far as the return policy, you can make a claim for the damage from the shipper, and you can also dispute the credit card charge.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online